Broody NOT getting off eggs for 6+ days

FlyMac

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2022
Hi,
My Broody won’t get off her eggs. I contained her with access to grains, water & dust bath day 2/21. She showed signs of broody 3 days before. Zero broody poos or signs she had left nest Day 3. Started leaving water food in bowls next to her (ate). Day 6 still no signs she had left the nest. Picked her up off nest near dusk & out of broody hotel day 6 … massive poo/dust bath (see photos). She then insisted on going back to coop nest (?) … relocated her & as soon as she saw the eggs settled on them. Now Day 12 (Broody hôtel water food dust bath untouched) but eating/drinking from bowls next to her in nest. Will pick her up off the nest tomorrow near dusk again. 2/8 eggs viable on candling tonight.

Attachments

• 5FD8385F-4494-4970-83A4-1542229D9BB1.jpeg
    5FD8385F-4494-4970-83A4-1542229D9BB1.jpeg
    899.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 165A1818-4633-4795-A026-EBE21FB19C94.jpeg
    165A1818-4633-4795-A026-EBE21FB19C94.jpeg
    741 KB · Views: 15
I think she’s likely getting off the nest when you’re not looking. Also, check the nesting box for broody poo. My experience— I have a few that did it right in the nest corner and covered it with bedding. So, I had to check every day and remove the poo. If your girl continues to look in general decent broody health, I wouldn’t worry. She’ll get up to grab a quick drink and a morsel or 2. Just keep eyes on her, because a broody will be more concerned about incubating than her own health. I just had Serama hens brooding, and they were very quick off the nest for food and water every day. Also, I always choose to separate mine when they’re brooding, so I can pay extra attention to what’s going on with them. I hope some of my experience eases your mind about your girl.

Sounds like your doing everything you can do. My gut just says leave her be getting her up once a day is enough.
Is she a first time broody? What's her rank?
She acts like she's scared to leave the eggs? My last broody was like that... wouldn't leave her eggs because she was lowest in rank. It took a few days for her to figure out she had her own enclosure and no worries about other hens near her or her eggs. But I had to feed and water right next to her in nest box. It was stressful worrying she would dump her water or not get up at all but she finally did.

Back
Top Bottom