Buff sikies and polish frizzles

DarkerAngel90

Chirping
Dec 20, 2023
I'm after what I should do for prevention for wry neck.
I just hatched some polish frizzles and buff sikies.
I do know that they both are prone to the illness.
I have spinach, vit e, multi vitamins and tuna

What age can I start feeding them the spinach ect

I'm after what I should do for prevention for wry neck.
I just hatched some polish frizzles and buff sikies.
I do know that they both are prone to the illness.
I have spinach, vit e, multi vitamins and tuna

What age can I start feeding them the spinach ect
Welcome To BYC

I would feed them a quality chick starter, making sure the mill date is fresh.
See that they have clean fresh water to drink.
For just hatched chicks, you can give vitamins with electrolytes for a few days. I like to give Durvet brand. Do have fresh water available too.

Wry Neck is a neurological symptom. Some common causes are disease like Marek's, head/neck trauma, genetics and/or nutritional/vitamin deficiency.

Silkes or crested birds do seem to be a bit more susceptible to having neurological symptoms, perhaps it's the hole in the skull or something else.

I understand you are wanting to treat prophylactically, but you can overdo vitamins. Vitamin E is fat soluble so it can accumulate in the body over time, it's not flushed out in the waste like B vitamins are.
So...it's best to have them eat a balanced poultry feed, drink fresh water, keep water/food dishes cleaned and bedding/housing relatively clean.

What is the spinach supposed to do? It can make a fine treat like any other leafy vegetable when given in moderation. Some wait to introduce fruit/veggies/treats until chicks are older at around 4weeks and up. I've given "treats" to chicks that are just a few days old, especially when with a Mama Hen, they really don't consume much, it's more like you put a piece or a few tiny bits of something down for them to taste and become familiar with.

Back
Top Bottom