Building a quail coop and need some advice

The chicken nurd

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
Currently, I’m buildings a third coop that eventually will be used for Coturnix quails and I need some advice to make sure my plan sounds ok to you guys with quail

I was planning on building a coop/run set up inside my chicken run, the run is 11×12 currently, and I was thinking of walling off a space that would be about 11×3, also the set-up would be a couple of feet off the floor (a bit like a table) it would be used for my bantam flock for a bit but when I’m done using it for them, I would want to have quails in it.
Also, the run currently is about 10–12 feet tall

So, my main questions are
- Does this sound ok
- How tall can I make the quail coop without risking them hurting themselves by trying to fly
- Any suggestions for building a coop that would work for both chickens (temporarily) and quail
- How many quail could I keep i that space (there being raised for eggs)
- And anything else I might need to know?

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:
Currently, I’m buildings a third coop that eventually will be used for Coturnix quails and I need some advice to make sure my plan sounds ok to you guys with quail

I was planning on building a coop/run set up inside my chicken run, the run is 11×12 currently, and I was thinking of walling off a space that would be about 11×3, also the set-up would be a couple of feet off the floor (a bit like a table) it would be used for my bantam flock for a bit but when I’m done using it for them, I would want to have quails in it.
Also, the run currently is about 10–12 feet tall

So, my main questions are
- Does this sound ok
- How tall can I make the quail coop without risking them hurting themselves by trying to fly
- Any suggestions for building a coop that would work for both chickens (temporarily) and quail
- How many quail could I keep i that space (there being raised for eggs)
- And anything else I might need to know?

Thanks guys :)
You want your cages to hold 5-6 females and 1 male.
How many cages depends on how many birds you want to keep. Plan one only one male per cage.

Im new, so what do I know 🤷. But j used a pre-fabricated chicken coup for my quail and build it around a 2 year old mulberry tree (the tree sticks out the roof) my 8 quail seem pretty happy in there. I got one with lots of airflow and left the floor of the second story laying box and ramp up top out of the coop. It's on the open ground so they get to play in the dirt and wood chips from the tree. They all seem pretty happy in there. So, something like that might work inside your aviary with the ability to work with your fluffy friends and the quail.

Back
Top Bottom