Bully hen

Jessielynn21

Hatching
Oct 28, 2023
One of my hens has started bullying another hen. I’ve read through threads on here and I’ve separated the bully out. It’s weird though, because it’s only 1 hen picking on one other specific hen. It’s not my entire flock picking on her. It’s also just showed up overnight. We went out of town for one night, they had access to food and water and free range my big back yard. I came home to a slightly scruffy looking chicken with feathers missing. No blood, but she’s a little beat up. She’s had feathers pulled around her neck, under beak and a little along her back.
The 2 chickens are Easter Eggers, one picking on the other. I have 5 chickens total. They’ve never had problems before. I just wanted to know if anyone else thinks it’s something either than general bullying? I’ve got my bully hen isolated for now. I can keep her separated from the flock during the day, but have no where else for her to roost at night but the same coop. I’m just stumped because of all my hens, I never would have picked this hen for the bully. Any thoughts/insights would be helpful. Two years in and I still feel like a chicken newbie.

Last edited:
One of my hens has started bullying another hen. I’ve read through threads on here and I’ve separated the bully out. It’s weird though, because it’s only 1 hen picking on one other specific hen. It’s not my entire flock picking on her. It’s also just showed up overnight. We went out of town for one night, they had access to food and water and free range my big back yard. I came home to a slightly scruffy looking chicken with feathers missing. No blood, but she’s a little beat up. She’s had feathers pulled around her neck, under beak and a little along her back.
The 2 chickens are Easter Eggers, one picking on the other. I have 5 chickens total. They’ve never had problems before. I just wanted to know if anyone else thinks it’s something either than generally bullying? I’ve got my bully hen isolated for now. I can keep her separated from the flock during the day, but have no where else for her to roost at night but the same coop. I’m just stumped because of all my hens, I never would have picked this hen for the bully. Any thoughts/insides would be helpful. Two years in and I still feel like a chicken newbie.
Hope you can figure this out! @fluffycrow

It might be molting, that was my first thought. She just looks more ragged than I’ve seen for molting though. I also witnessed the other chicken running this hen off treats and being more aggressive than I’ve ever seen her act when we got home. We had our neighbors checl on the girls this morning and they said they didn’t notice anything that might indicate a predator. We have a pretty secure yard and my sisters dogs come over Sunday during family dinner and pee everywhere, it’s been pretty effective in keeping animals out of the yard.

It could be a molt, neither of my eggers have molted before and maybe they just look rougher than I’m used to? It just didn’t look the same as when my barred rocks molted earlier this year. The chickens are all almost two years old, they’ve been together since chicks. I’ll keep watching them. I will try and snag her for pictures but she is not a lover of being picked up, so we’ll see if I can get her cornered. I appreciate the responses!

Keep an eye on the one hen that is particularly bullying the other. You will probably need to put her in isolation, rehome her, or keep them apart somehow. I had the same thing happen to me recently.

In my case, the girl at the top of the pecking order (8 month old BO) was focusing on my favorite girl (7 month old BO). She would follow her around and peck her on the head periodically, but I would just shoo the bully away and didn't think too much of it. I played it off as pecking order behaviors. Then, one evening the bully grabbed my baby by the neck and broke her neck. She died instantly.

I wouldn't have thought this possible, but I witnessed it myself. It's devastating, and I blame myself for not seeing the warning signs sooner.

Keep an eye on the one hen that is particularly bullying the other. You will probably need to put her in isolation, rehome her, or keep them apart somehow. I had the same thing happen to me recently.

In my case, the girl at the top of the pecking order (8 month old BO) was focusing on my favorite girl (7 month old BO). She would follow her around and peck her on the head periodically, but I would just shoo the bully away and didn't think too much of it. I played it off as pecking order behaviors. Then, one evening the bully grabbed my baby by the neck and broke her neck. She died instantly.

I wouldn't have thought this possible, but I witnessed it myself. It's devastating, and I blame myself for not seeing the warning signs sooner.

The 2 chickens are Easter Eggers, one picking on the other. I have 5 chickens total. They’ve never had problems before. I just wanted to know if anyone else thinks it’s something either than general bullying? I’ve got my bully hen isolated for now. I can keep her separated from the flock during the day, but have no where else for her to roost at night but the same coop. I’m just stumped because of all my hens, I never would have picked this hen for the bully. Any thoughts/insights would be helpful. Two years in and I still feel like a chicken newbie.
I’m having a similar problem suddenly with one hen pecking on the tail end of another who was the leader. No more.
I have tried spraying the picked on hen’s hind end with tea tree spray but as soon as she grows some down, she’s bare again.
I’m separating the bully for a few days to see if that helps. Otherwise, I’m going to see if my neighbor wants to trade a hen I gave her for this one. Maybe she will do better in a larger flock.

Back
Top Bottom