Bumblefoot with no pus?

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
One of my hens has two marks on her feet that resemble the brown scabs that look like bumblefoot. I’ve been soaking both feet in epsom salts and doing normal treatment and always making sure to wrap the feet carefully. Whenever I remove the top of the scab, theres no pus underneath. I saw some in the first few treatments, but there’s nothing anymore.
However, the scabs are not going away and its been weeks now. What do I do? It’s not getting worse. This is an image without the scab. Sorry the foot is dirty, I didn’t have enough time to soak it for long today.

Attachments

• 89E8EF87-4991-43E4-B047-7B8C27194AA4.jpeg
    89E8EF87-4991-43E4-B047-7B8C27194AA4.jpeg
    723.1 KB · Views: 39
Puss is the infection, so good sign.

You may be a bit aggressive in the removal if you are getting blood. It will keep making scabs.

At this point I would let the scab happen, just wash the foot and massage it with something to loosen the scab occasionally. (Anything non medicinal like a bag balm, cooking oil, olive oil, coconut oil, Vaseline) the new scab will fall when ready. It is no different than the scab on human skin. It falls off when the skin under is good to go.

You did great by the way, getting rid of the infection is the hard part (and key)

Puss is the infection, so good sign.

You may be a bit aggressive in the removal if you are getting blood. It will keep making scabs.

At this point I would let the scab happen, just wash the foot and massage it with something to loosen the scab occasionally. (Anything non medicinal like a bag balm, cooking oil, olive oil, coconut oil, Vaseline) the new scab will fall when ready. It is no different than the scab on human skin. It falls off when the skin under is good to go.

You did great by the way, getting rid of the infection is the hard part (and key)
Thank you so much! I’ll make sure to check up on the scab. :D

Back
Top Bottom