Button Quail Eggs: Humidity Issues

cuckleberry

Songster
Jan 7, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Hello!

I am trying my luck at incubating button quail eggs again. I bought the same model I had, a Janoel 12 incubator.

I started incubating the eggs in the afternoon on Dec. 9. Today marks day 3 into day 4 for them. I know candling isn't going to show me much at this time so I am waiting til later. (Day 10 maybe?)

For some reason I have been running into an issue with keeping a steady humidity. The temperature is fine, between 99-100° F. No issues there. As for the humidity, it has spiked several times in the last few days.

Day 1: Fine, a little high but it regulated itself. Started at 60, went down to 55.

Day 2: I noticed the humidity the next morning was down to 38. I saw the small bit of water I had in the bottom of the Bator was dried up so I added a little more and it went back up to 65, and slowly back into 55.

Day 3: The humidity was at 50 when I went to work. Seemed fine, so I didn't think much of it. 9 hours later, it was down to 25. I again quickly added a bit of water, and this time cut up a small sponge into 4 pieces and put them on the bottom tray to help keep things steady.
This morning, again, the humidity was still down into 25. (Slept for 8 hours, so in that time it went from 60-25)

I checked everything, took one of the sponge pieces out, and only now noticed that the lid isn't fully closing on the left side of the incubator. 🤦
It was hardly noticable but nevertheless it's on me, and I feel dumb getting panicked over this. It seems like the plastic is a bit warped and that must've been how it came. I have both a hydrometer in the incubator, and I am checking the temperature with an infrared to make sure it isn't spiking. The bator itself isn't running too hot, so I guess I got a messed up model?
I put a towel around the side that's warped in hopes it'll help. (Not blocking the small vent at the top)

I hope that these fluctuations in humidity haven't spoiled this batch. I have 5 eggs in there now, since the others got broken in transit.

My infrared thermometer is way off... do you have another thermometer to test it out?
It's the only one I have, unfortunately. The temperature that reads off the hydrometer is off by a few degrees, so it's why I started to check with the infrared. It seems to be pretty accurate. (at least so far) It reads between 98.5-100.5° depending on where I aim it within the incubator.

It's the only one I have, unfortunately. The temperature that reads off the hydrometer is off by a few degrees, so it's why I started to check with the infrared. It seems to be pretty accurate. (at least so far) It reads between 98.5-100.5° depending on where I aim it within the incubator.
I’m in the same boat as you only I’m doing a dryish hatch at 40% and going to go to 65-75% at lockdown. Like you I set on the same day have a hygrometer-thermometer that’s always just a tiny bit out and an infra-red thermometer. I always take multiple readings and use the average; I do also have a meat thermometer as another backup. I always keep an eye on the temps relative to each other and the reading from my thermostat temp probe even if they don’t read exactly the same. I am admittedly making a rod for my own back using a vivarium rather than an incubator but if I manage to maintain the balance (and my partner doesn’t slip up whilst I’m away for two days half way through) I could be successful again.

Back
Top Bottom