cabinet incubator overhaul, need help

mufffin

Chirping
13 Years
Sep 8, 2009
I have an older sportsman 1202 cabinet incubator. We disconnected the coil heater and installed 2 100wt lightbulbs, a digital thermostat. I have been hatching chicks but not having great % success, so am thinking I need to change something, change my heat source or something. I get chicks 1-2 days late in every hatch, so I know it it temp related.
I am looking for a low cost heat alternative, any suggestions? I thought about plant heat mats, but they dont use a thermostat, thought about reptile heat mats but dont think they have a heat mat either. Suggestions??? I NEED to raise enough pullets to replace my hen flock, who have started the egg eating thing, have already made stir fry from some of them, but caught another today. So they all have to go.

I have an older sportsman 1202 cabinet incubator. We disconnected the coil heater and installed 2 100wt lightbulbs, a digital thermostat. I have been hatching chicks but not having great % success, so am thinking I need to change something, change my heat source or something. I get chicks 1-2 days late in every hatch, so I know it it temp related.
I am looking for a low cost heat alternative, any suggestions? I thought about plant heat mats, but they dont use a thermostat, thought about reptile heat mats but dont think they have a heat mat either. Suggestions??? I NEED to raise enough pullets to replace my hen flock, who have started the egg eating thing, have already made stir fry from some of them, but caught another today. So they all have to go.
Reptile/plant infrared mats are a fine heat source. But so are light bulbs. The source of the heat isn’t as important as your thermostat so that’s the thing to troubleshoot. If you find out your bulbs aren’t enough to keep the temperature up than add another heat source or replace them. But first figure out if your thermostat is accurate and responsive enough to prevent too much fluctuation. Also it could be an issue if the heat isn’t being evenly distributed by your fan. So check for hot/cold spots.

Back
Top Bottom