Camper converted into chicken coop

Holding up fairly well, so far. No leaks in the roof, Doors and windows still operate just fine. We put new plywood subfloor over the old before covering it with vinyl, and that's doing fine although there are some rips in the vinyl from my scoop shovel. To be expected. The roof vents don't operate at the moment, until I put some WD-40 on them and it should be fine before summer. Need to replace the screen covers over those vents with some hardware cloth for better security when open. We've had (still have???) a snake inside. He disappeared into a gap behind a cabinet and I've never caught him. Couldn't use the brooder tub in front, due to the snake eating almost all the chicks. I need to seal up some gaps inside and out. I've added a couple more ramps, to make it easier for the older girls to get down from the high roosts - and another row of nesting buckets. Hubby still (!!) needs to add an electrical outlet so I can safely plug in a ventilation fan for summer, and the heat lamp for the coldest nights. For the past 2 years, I've been using an extension cord, attached/wired to the HOT wires coming into the coop, covered in a fire-proof box. Not good. Anyway, it's working fine - just needs some fine tuning!
I love this idea so much

I posted this in response to another thread, but thought it would also make a good update here in case anyone seeks out this thread later:

My biggest challenges and complaints:
1. Not enough ventilation. I have to use fans 24/7/365. Small ones, carefully placed to move air but not make it drafty. In summer I add a box fan.
2. Both of our POS campers had damage, rot and holes that had to be repaired to keep snakes, rodents and predators out. (I'm drooling over your camper - doesn't appear to have those issues!) They have no roof leaks, though - thank goodness.
3. Due to snakes still getting in, my shower/bath-converted-into-brooder didn't work out as I envisioned. Now I'll have to cut it into pieces to get it out the door if I can't solve the snake problem.
4. Haven't had an issue yet, but there's a possibility I'd have to crawl underneath to retrieve a sick or dead hen, or eggs.

Best things I LOVE about our camper coops:
1. Operable roof vents!
2. INSULATED!
3. Metal-encased & repaired, predators canNOT get in. Very secure. (except snakes!)
4. Portable!
5. Working electricity!
6. Provides plenty of cover, shade, and a breeze underneath. Hens love to dig holes and dust bathe or lay in those. And in winter, it stays snow-free, ice-free, and DRY.
7. If someone gets left out of the coop at night, they've got the axles to roost on.
8. I have jalousie windows (old campers) and LOVE these! I can adjust for ventilation and they keep rain out even when open.
9. CABINETS to store all the chicken equipment and materials.
10. Room to store barrels of feed and bags of wood chips inside.

Things I wish I'd done differently:
1. Epoxy on the floor. I installed new plywood, then used cheap sheet vinyl flooring and it's tearing everywhere due to scraping when I clean the coop.
2. Installed more wall vents up high.
3. Removed that cabinet where I always bang my head on the corner. Ouch!
4. Talked hubby into letting me fix the front awning/rock guard so I could use those windows! (He just doesn't "get" the need for ventilation year-round - and in winter, solar heat gain. It's an ongoing debate with us.)

Back
Top Bottom