Can a chicken be attached to me?

Reagaloo

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2023
I have one chick and his siblings passed early on so I believe he may be lonely sometimes. However, I’m getting a bit worried about how he’s acting. When I get him out he sits right on my arm and doesn’t like for me to put him down anywhere. He also crawls up to my shoulder and snuggles into my neck. He pecks at my hair and sleeps next to me. But when I put him back in his cage he tries to get out and beeps really loudly. Is this normal behavior for a chick or should I be worried that he is sick?

It is normal, but not good. The chick has imprinted on you, as bird do. Normally they imprint on their parents or flockmates. Can you get him some other chicks his age that he can live with? It may take a little bit, but that will resolve the problem. Even putting a mirror in the cage till then may help.

It is normal, but not good. The chick has imprinted on you, as bird do. Normally they imprint on their parents or flockmates. Can you get him some other chicks his age that he can live with? It may take a little bit, but that will resolve the problem. Even putting a mirror in the cage till then may help
Thank you for this advice! I will look into getting more chicks and the mirror tip is really good.

Back
Top Bottom