Can chickens and duck be safe around a kunekune pig?

sandy sea

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Rogersville MO
My ducks and chickens, and pot bellied pigs free range together. No problems, except sometimes if a pig can find an egg and eat it. Does anyone know if a kunekune pig will leave chickens, chicks ,or ducks? I was thinking of getting a kunekune pig. but I do not want it to eat my chickens, chicks, or ducks. Would the kunekune pig be ok with my pot bellied pigs?

Pigs each have a unique personality. The only way to know if it’ll get along with other pigs is to give it a try, kinda like dogs. Should be fine with your birds though.

My potbellies free range with my chickens, turkeys and ducks. Pigs help themselves to the duck eggs every now and then but they've never been aggressive towards the flock.

My ducks and chickens, and pot bellied pigs free range together. No problems, except sometimes if a pig can find an egg and eat it. Does anyone know if a kunekune pig will leave chickens, chicks ,or ducks? I was thinking of getting a kunekune pig. but I do not want it to eat my chickens, chicks, or ducks. Would the kunekune pig be ok with my pot bellied pigs?
i think it will be okay (still i would NOT put chicks in with pigs) our chickens go in to the pig pen all the time
My potbellies free range with my chickens, turkeys and ducks. Pigs help themselves to the duck eggs every now and then but they've never been aggressive towards the flock.
the pigs we have love eggs lol
if a pig can find an egg and eat it
it will
kunekune pig be ok with my pot bellied pigs?
yes they might fight a little at first to establish dominance

Could go either way..

My pigs ("American Mini" raised indoor when younger) see my dogs and my chickens as competition for food (including grazing land) and attention. Most animals have learned to avoid them when they are in the same pasture.

My pigs will go after anything that enters their space (personal bubble), including chicken predators.. and you better believe they will mess a chicken up.. especially if it's injured or ill and unable to get away.. I've witnessed it first hand.. even without the intent to eat them, my female is a cranky arse bully and they don't back down!

Please note.. the issues we faced as juveniles were much less and different than a mature pig.. both mine are neutered for pet purposes.. and I trust NO animal with them alone (really even supervised).. Now at 3 years old is the very first year I've had my pasture destroyed. The first time I've seen my male stand up to my female and so on. It's never a problem until it is.

Kune's are cute.. introductions are tough, watch some videos if you haven't already.

To me.. even chickens and duck shouldn't really be kept together if drakes are involved.. but many will still learn their lesson the hard way.

Best wishes for a continued happy, healthy, thriving farm stock adventure! :fl

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom