Can chickens be left alone while on vacation?

Molliep2

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2018
Hi,
I have two chickens and am thinking about going on vacation. I don't have anyone to watch them. I was wondering if they could be left alone in their coop for a few days with enough food and water to last them? Thank you!

To safely do that, you need a few things:

The run must be predator-proof. Even if you have an automatic door, one may not go in in time, and you will not be there to check. If you don't have an auto door, the coop pop door will have to be left open, which also requires a predator-proof run.

Redundant everything is necessary, especially 2 waterers and 2 feeders. Imagine if one gets knocked over the day you leave.

Be prepared for very dirty or even broken eggs. The number of hens will make this or break this.

I find I can leave mine for 4 days, tops, and I only have 3.

I will leave mine for a long weekend. Any longer & I get someone to check on them & collect eggs. I went out west for a month once & had a friends daughter move in to care for them.

I have multiple feed & water stations, just in case. I have auto doors & a camera on the doors so I check that they have opened & closed (I have 2 coops) & if there are issues I can call on my neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom