Can chickens eat algae?

I also came across this.... lol

https://algenair.com/blogs/news/the-benefits-of-algae-as-a-fertilizer

Now I'm thinking that I WANT the algae to grow.... 😂 We do have a big compost pile. Lots of animals (horses, goats, chickens, ducks, rabbit) that provide ample manure. I also use a lot of compost.... Since the cost of fertilizer is going lunar, I've been thinking of ways I can possibly fertilize my pasture with something natural. Beyond the garden as top priority, this looks like a potential method.... I can keep harvesting the algae, compost it, and spread it out on the pasture a section at a time.
I have a pond with algae problems as well. It composts well and makes a decent mulch as well

Disclaimer here--i don't have a pond and am not an expert, but...

I do keep aquariums, and algae prevention is a Big Deal, lol.

My best technique for limiting algae is to understand that algae blooms happen when there are excess nutrients in the water. The best solution is to put something in that will outcompete the algae for nutrients, AND/OR to limit light. Clearly you can't turn off the sun for a week to starve the algae, but you can add duckweed, which will do both.

Duckweed is known for being a rapid-growing plant that consumes nitrates quickly. Because it grows fast and "eats" a lot of nutrients in doing so, it deprives algae of both nutrients and light--as it floats on top of the water.

Bonuses, it's fully edible to ducks, chickens, pigs, and you (if you cook it first, though the animals will eat it raw!) and has a higher protein content than soybeans. Additionally, it's great for purifying your pond's water. You can probably get some at your local pet store, or order it online from eBay for cheap.

However, be aware that it can be tough to get rid of after the fact if you don't like it, but I personally think it's quite pretty!

Disclaimer here--i don't have a pond and am not an expert, but...

I do keep aquariums, and algae prevention is a Big Deal, lol.

My best technique for limiting algae is to understand that algae blooms happen when there are excess nutrients in the water. The best solution is to put something in that will outcompete the algae for nutrients, AND/OR to limit light. Clearly you can't turn off the sun for a week to starve the algae, but you can add duckweed, which will do both.

Duckweed is known for being a rapid-growing plant that consumes nitrates quickly. Because it grows fast and "eats" a lot of nutrients in doing so, it deprives algae of both nutrients and light--as it floats on top of the water.

Bonuses, it's fully edible to ducks, chickens, pigs, and you (if you cook it first, though the animals will eat it raw!) and has a higher protein content than soybeans. Additionally, it's great for purifying your pond's water. You can probably get some at your local pet store, or order it online from eBay for cheap.

However, be aware that it can be tough to get rid of after the fact if you don't like it, but I personally think it's quite pretty!
Hmm...that's a tough one. I was reading about the Pro's and Con's of duckweed on this site - https://pondinformer.com/duckweed-good-or-bad/

I will have to talk it over with my DH to get his thoughts... Other than the algae, we don't have any plants in the pond. Naturally, this leaves very little shaded areas or natural beds for the fish (bluegill). My DH would probably like the idea of using something like duckweed to limit the algae and provide shade. But the con's of duckweed could be the dealbreaker. In the hottest part of summer (July/August), our pond can get really low. Sometimes it gets so low that I really can't believe the fish don't completely die off. I'm nervous about how the presence of duckweed could affect the pond during this stage? It would be disastrous for the fish and the duckweed to have to compete for oxygen during this time frame. It's also concerning that there is no "undo" if it doesn't work out. You can't realistically rake it out and remove it from the pond if it starts to take over.

I see benefits from both sides. Just need to talk with DH and make a decision. He may choose to stick with the algae or not.

There are a gazillion different types of algae. Very few are harmful in any way and most of the harmful ones are the bluegreen algae species. Some types of algae are a great source of Omega-3's and transfer Omega-3s to the eggs. Almost all algae is a good source of vitamina.

Any time you can manually scoop algae out of water you are improving the water quality. The algae have the nutrients bound up as organic matter but if the algae dies in place the nutrients are released back to the water.

Duckweek is not an algae. It is the world's smallest flowering plant. It is easier to scoop and more stable than algae. Ducks and chickens love duckweed and it is a good source of vitamins and fiber. Other than that, duckweed is largely non-digestable though. I scoop some duckweek for the poultry almost every day. It gives them something to peck at and fresh duckweed will often contain little bug creatures that are good for them too.

Think long and hard before intentionally introducing duckweed especially if the floating algae is not a persistent problem. You may not be able to ever get rid of it.

Duckweed makes beautiful compost. Filamentous algae packs so tightly that you have to keep breaking it up to get it to compost.

Last edited:
Hmm...that's a tough one. I was reading about the Pro's and Con's of duckweed on this site - https://pondinformer.com/duckweed-good-or-bad/

I will have to talk it over with my DH to get his thoughts... Other than the algae, we don't have any plants in the pond. Naturally, this leaves very little shaded areas or natural beds for the fish (bluegill). My DH would probably like the idea of using something like duckweed to limit the algae and provide shade. But the con's of duckweed could be the dealbreaker. In the hottest part of summer (July/August), our pond can get really low. Sometimes it gets so low that I really can't believe the fish don't completely die off. I'm nervous about how the presence of duckweed could affect the pond during this stage? It would be disastrous for the fish and the duckweed to have to compete for oxygen during this time frame. It's also concerning that there is no "undo" if it doesn't work out. You can't realistically rake it out and remove it from the pond if it starts to take over.

I see benefits from both sides. Just need to talk with DH and make a decision. He may choose to stick with the algae or not.

There are definitely some cons to it, for sure! On looking into it's use in ponds more closely, it does seem to need some management. Putting in something to break water surface tension (a fountain pump or something similar) would help with preventing the duckweed from fully overrunning it, or you can rely on routine manual removal of the plant.

I saw a guy on YouTube (I'll see if I can find his channel to link him) using duckweed to feed his pigs. He had some kind of a strainer on a stick (looks like what people clean pools with) that he strained the duckweed out with, tossed it in a bucket and fed it to the pigs. I suppose I was picturing something like that! But admittedly, it is work to maintain.

If you live in an area warm enough, tilapia might be an option to help keep it under control, and make a nice meal for you at the end of it. Otherwise, larger goldfish will do the job and look pretty to boot. (Shubunkins would be better than koi--just as pretty, but only get to 24inches, and a lot cheaper!)

If duckweed isn't a great idea for you, some other fast growing plants that should help suck up some nitrates to fight the algae would include water lilies/lotus (gorgeous plants, though they will require a bit of maintenance between seasons), hornwort, parrot's feather*, and water lettuce. Most of those would contribute to your oxygen levels as well.

*I have parrot's feather in my fish tanks and LOVE it, but it can be invasive in some places so check the laws in your area before buying it.

It definitely should be a considered decision!! Best of luck in your bid for algae control. :)

There are definitely some cons to it, for sure! On looking into it's use in ponds more closely, it does seem to need some management. Putting in something to break water surface tension (a fountain pump or something similar) would help with preventing the duckweed from fully overrunning it, or you can rely on routine manual removal of the plant.

I saw a guy on YouTube (I'll see if I can find his channel to link him) using duckweed to feed his pigs. He had some kind of a strainer on a stick (looks like what people clean pools with) that he strained the duckweed out with, tossed it in a bucket and fed it to the pigs. I suppose I was picturing something like that! But admittedly, it is work to maintain.

If you live in an area warm enough, tilapia might be an option to help keep it under control, and make a nice meal for you at the end of it. Otherwise, larger goldfish will do the job and look pretty to boot. (Shubunkins would be better than koi--just as pretty, but only get to 24inches, and a lot cheaper!)

If duckweed isn't a great idea for you, some other fast growing plants that should help suck up some nitrates to fight the algae would include water lilies/lotus (gorgeous plants, though they will require a bit of maintenance between seasons), hornwort, parrot's feather*, and water lettuce. Most of those would contribute to your oxygen levels as well.

*I have parrot's feather in my fish tanks and LOVE it, but it can be invasive in some places so check the laws in your area before buying it.

It definitely should be a considered decision!! Best of luck in your bid for algae control. :)
Thanks! He is definitely getting an aerator this spring. He also wants to dig the pond out and make it bigger...thus pushing for us to buy a tractor. 😂 Last year I tried to grow some lilypads in the pond from a couple of those kits available at Lowes. Didn't work. I mostly don't mess with the pond because it's my DH's domain. He is very possessive of "his" pond. I know he treated the algae with copper sulfate this week. He was griping because it doesn't seem to be doing much. He mentioned it didn't really work last year either....which is what got me thinking about repurposing the algae for the chickens or even the garden. I just have to wait for the copper sulfate to clear out so it won't interfere with unintended uses and whether I give it to the chickens, put it in the compost, on the garden while wet....who knows. I might try all of them and see what I like the best.....

Back
Top Bottom