Can I feed this to my chickens?

Donette

Chirping
Sep 9, 2023
I have Brahma pullets at just a few days shy of 3 mos old. I also have a Brahma rooster at 5 months old. I’ve got a big bag of Dumor starter crumbles 20 or 22% protein and a big bag of gamebird starter 30% protein. I also accidentally bought a big bag of gamebird scratch because it looked like what she had mixed in with her crumbles but now I’m reading not to use scratch in this way. All bags are 40lb or 50lb. Question is, can I just mix that all together in a galvanized steel can and will it be ok for my birds to eat? They free range all day until they go into the coop at night. The lady who had the rooster said she feeds “50% starter grower and 50% game bird”. What she showed me looked like a mix of crumbles and cracked corn with some other seed/grains. She said Brahmas need more protein than other chickens. Her birds looked so healthy and they are gorgeous. It’s all so confusing and that’s why I now have 3 different bags of feed and no idea what to do. Up until now I’ve given the Dumor starter crumbles only with mealworms as a treat to get them into the coop when I need to.

I’ve got a big bag of Dumor starter crumbles 20 or 22% protein and a big bag of gamebird starter 30% protein.
You can mix these 2 together.
I also accidentally bought a big bag of gamebird scratch because it looked like what she had mixed in with her crumbles but now I’m reading not to use scratch in this way.
I only serve scratch as a treat separately. No more than 10% of their daily diet. Only occasionally, not everyday.
Question is, can I just mix that all together in a galvanized steel can and will it be ok for my birds to eat?
The feed crumbles are the best balanced nutrition. I would not add any corn or scratch with the feed. Birds tend to pick out their favorite bits.
Up until now I’ve given the Dumor starter crumbles only with mealworms as a treat to get them into the coop when I need to.
Limit the mealworms. They love them but they are high in fat.

I find it easiest to feed an "All Flock" type poultry feed. Purina, Dumor and Nutrena and other brands make all flock types. These are usually 18-20% protein. You can get it in crumbles that work well when you have chicks. It doesn't have too much calcium for roosters. I offer oyster shell and eggs shells in a separate dish for calcium for my hens. Just add oyster shell when your pullets start to lay.
This means I only have to buy one type for all ages of chickens. It makes a very healthy diet for the birds and is easy for me.

Good luck with your Brahmas! And :welcome

The lady who had the rooster said she feeds “50% starter grower and 50% game bird”. What she showed me looked like a mix of crumbles and cracked corn with some other seed/grains. She said Brahmas need more protein than other chickens. Her birds looked so healthy and they are gorgeous. It’s all so confusing and that’s why I now have 3 different bags of feed and no idea what to do.
why don't you ask her? The birds you got from her are also used to what she feeds them, and since you say it produces healthy and gorgeous birds, I'd carry on with what she does.

Back
Top Bottom