Can I Get a Broody Goose to Raise Ducklings?

My gander loved every duckling hatched here he was the best papa goose you could ask for. The mamas never relinquished their rights to their ducklings but they would go off and leave Sam in change of them. It was so precious.
That's so cute! I don't think my gander is ready to be a papa, he's too much of a big baby himself still, lol.

That's so cute! I don't think my gander is ready to be a papa, he's too much of a big baby himself still, lol.
I am a little slow finding this post, but in regards to the original question of geese raising ducks. It has been my experience with broody geese, that you can "smuggle" in young ducklings. We have no ganders!!! If a goose has set on her eggs for close to the incubation period, I have stolen eggs(while getting my arm ripped off) with 1 hand and offered a duckling with the other hand. 9 times out of 10 the goose will stop attacking and start "talking" to the baby while tucking them in under her. I will say I have never been successful at introducing ducklings to a goose that wasn't nesting. Just my experience, with my geese.

It's funny to see my old post now because just a couple months after that, the gander DID become a father. And he was super sweet to his son the whole time. The son is about 7 months old now, and so far, they still get along!

But the gander was okay when my two ducks were ducklings. But once they got older, now he just tries to attack them all the time. So does his son. XD

It's funny to see my old post now because just a couple months after that, the gander DID become a father. And he was super sweet to his son the whole time. The son is about 7 months old now, and so far, they still get along!

But the gander was okay when my two ducks were ducklings. But once they got older, now he just tries to attack them all the time. So does his son. XD
That's a gander for ya. They will love them to pieces when young but once they are adults watch out. When Sam finally got a goose mate he didn't want to have anything else to do with the ducks. He was too much in love with his girl. {still took him from Aug till Jan to actually fall in love and mating season sealed the deal.}

Back
Top Bottom