Can I let my chickens out

There are advantages and disadvantages to letting them out. Mine got out, and I have never been able to get them back in.

However, my original 5 hens/1 rooster flock has produced two healthy clutches of chicks (4 and 6 weeks old, they are now) and one current hen is broody.

The advantages to a free-range flock, as I see it, is the rooster and hens will establish a healthy pecking order that will contribute to raising good chicks. On their own they are able to obtain all the nutrients, water and shelter that they need. They have learned to come when I call as they know I come bearing free food. There is almost no effort required on my part for a healthy flock. I am convinced that they are healthier than if I tried to raise them myself.

The disadvantages are numerous. The biggest disadvantage is that I don't know where the hens are brooding so I can't find the eggs! I want eggs, not chicks! Everybody tells me to put out nesting boxes but that requires a male of the family to be involved, which is a disadvantage because I"m the only one in the family who cares about the chickens.

I also worry about the chicks. I count them daily, and grieve when there is one fewer
sad.png

This is just so neat. I think that it is so cool that there is a place to talk about chickens. I thought that my daughter was a nut when she told me to go on the computer to find out stuff about chickens. I know that the first couple of times that I wanted to ask a question, or to read other questions I was driving everyone in the house nuts. I keep yelling at the kids come do this, or how do you ask that. Now I can turn on the computer and get here all by myself, so I tell the kids I'm a big girl now. I tell my husband I'm going to talk to my new friends. This is just to fun for me. I'm such a nerd. But thank you for all the help! I love all my animals and my new chickens too. So I just want to be sure that I am doing everything the right way.
lol.png

Kristy.....im so glad you are able to navigate the computer. Its a lot of fun too!! This forum has been a great source of info for me as well. This is my first year trying to incubate...first hatch failed....second batch, due the 26th.
fl.gif
Everyone on here is so helpfull....and someone will eventually have the answer you might need. Welcome, and enjoy!!

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!! I got home from work today, and my wonderful husband had 5 new chickens for me. One is just huge and she has feathers down her legs and on her feet. I of course gave them all names, and brought them yummy treats.
lol.png

Kristy, It sounds like you got your hubby hooked on the chickens. I love this website as I visit most days. That's soo cool. What are you feeding them? I found a book just for the heck of it bought it called Hobby Farms Chickens. I've found it very useful along with this message board.

Aloha Moa, whoever said you couldn't run a drill and a saw? Are you mechanically inclined at all? Where are you located? Maybe you can go to Lowes and take some how to classes. I built new nest boxes without hubby's help. Good Luck!

Chickenranchwife - you are right - I could probably do it on my own. I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the encouragement.

Aloha Moa,

You can use lots of things for nesting boxes. Things like a big plastic storage container or 5-gal bucket with the lid on and a hole big enough for your hens to climb through cut in the side are great nesting boxes. Maybe you could look around your place and see if you can find something to hack a hole in instead of building one with wood?

Lori

Back
Top Bottom