Can I separate one rooster?

A-Lott of Chickens

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2023
I have one rooster (accidental)...a Buff Orpington with 16 hens, one year old. He overbreeds them and they are all losing feathers, some have big bald spots. I've tried chicken aprons, but then they show up with bald spots on their wings. I'm not sure what else to do. He's a beautiful bird and not aggressive unless I'm walking with food in my hand across the yard. I could keep him, but with so many hens he shouldn't be overbreeding from what I've read. I could separate him into a separate coop, but he'd be able to see and hear the hens...and with no other roosters, he'd be by himself. I'm also not sure exactly how I'd catch him without help. I'm willing to separate him if he won't be too stressed, but he may be lonely. I'm also not sure how long he'd have to be separated to let the hens start to grow feathers again. Maybe I should find a new home for him. I've never had to dispatch one and prepare it, so not ready to do that myself. Does anyone have advice or tips? Also, do roosters calm down? If I knew he was likely to calm down after hitting a certain age, that would help.

I could keep him, but with so many hens he shouldn't be overbreeding from what I've read.
He didn't read our books.. which don't happen to account for favorites or other dynamics.

I could separate him into a separate coop, but he'd be able to see and hear the hens.
Not ideal.. but maybe better than death.. and also still okay.. especially with the chance he might return to the ladies.. I would even suggest maybe just part time separation.. but in truth that *might* make him more crazy.. than just giving him the chance to settle down because he will be upset at first with extra crowing, pacing, etc.

. I'm also not sure exactly how I'd catch him without help. I
That's easy.. take him off roost (keeping it dim) after dark using a flashlight or headlamp and place him in the new location.

I'm also not sure how long he'd have to be separated to let the hens start to grow feathers again.
They may not regrow until they are molted out.. *if* they molt out.

Damaged feathers *may* not be as much of an issue as most of us make out. Is the skin being damaged or is it angry red at all?

Also, do roosters calm down? If I knew he was likely to calm down after hitting a certain age, that would help.
Some do, it's hard to say for sure.. Mating/laying hormones are effected by daylight hours.. so in addition to a little maturity.. heading into fall or winter may also effect that as opposed to heading into spring which *often* means hormones ramping up.

You might even split the hens and then split his time between those two coops/groups as opposed to keeping him by himself.. just brain storming alternatives.

I have one rooster (accidental)...a Buff Orpington with 16 hens, one year old. He overbreeds them and they are all losing feathers, some have big bald spots.
Could you please post photos of the feather damage? We might see it as rooster damage or possibly as something else. Since it is all 16 of them overbreeding is an interesting term. Usually overbreeding is either with a very small flock or he has a very few favorites. With it being all 16 hens I'd think maybe the damage isn't that bad or something else is going in.

He's a beautiful bird and not aggressive unless I'm walking with food in my hand across the yard.
Could you expand on this? It's not acceptable for him to be human aggressive even if you have food in your hand. What does he do? If he is attacking humans he needs to go.

I could keep him, but with so many hens he shouldn't be overbreeding from what I've read. I could separate him into a separate coop, but he'd be able to see and hear the hens...and with no other roosters, he'd be by himself.
It is harder on them to be alone but if the alternative is death it may be a reasonable option. He may settle down in his own area.

It sounds as if he is an accidental rooster, your original goals did not include a male. What are your plans for having a male now? How does he fit your current goals? Many people have girls-only flocks and are quite happy. Your life will be simpler if you get rid of him.

I'm also not sure exactly how I'd catch him without help.
As mentioned above, off of the roosts at night.

I'm also not sure how long he'd have to be separated to let the hens start to grow feathers again.
If the feather comes out cleanly they will be replaced fairly soon. If even a sliver of the shaft is left behind that feather will not be replaced until the next molt.

do roosters calm down? If I knew he was likely to calm down after hitting a certain age, that would help.
Once they hit a certain level of maturity the dynamics between the girls and boys change. Instead of fighting him or trying to run away the girls squat for the boy if they respect him. If the girls cooperate instead of try to get away he stops using brute force and wins them over by the force of his personality. The girls' attitude makes a big difference too, the girls are part of the process. Sometimes you have one or more girls that have a strong personality and do not want to be subservient to any male. The worst of these is when you have a girl with a strong personality and a wimp for a male.

I had one cockerel manage a peaceful takeover at five months with mature hens in the flock. Those hens were willing to let him take over. Most of my cockerels seem to be able to manage that pretty peacefully at around 7 months of age but that depends some on the personality of the head hen. I had one that waited until he was 11 months old before he even tried and the head hen did not accept him at all. It was two rough days of fighting before he took over. That was a combination of him being a wimp and her being strong. Once it settled they did become best of buddies but I was afraid he would have to kill her to get her to accept his dominance.

I can't tell you what to do. What is best for you will depend on your goals and desires, not mine. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom