Can I take baby chicks away from their mothers right after they hatch?

Jaront

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2024
Hi, recently several chicks have hatched in my backyard and I was wondering if I could take them away from their mother? Previous hatches I’ve let them stay with their mothers, but since we live higher up in the mountains and the chickens don’t live in a confined space, the previously hatched chicks always end up disappearing (possible predators im assuming). Would the mother and chicks get separation anxiety if I took the chicks home and took care of them myself until they are older? Is there depression in chickens? Thank u

Hi, recently several chicks have hatched in my backyard and I was wondering if I could take them away from their mother? Previous hatches I’ve let them stay with their mothers, but since we live higher up in the mountains and the chickens don’t live in a confined space, the previously hatched chicks always end up disappearing (possible predators im assuming). Would the mother and chicks get separation anxiety if I took the chicks home and took care of them myself until they are older? Is there depression in chickens? Thank u
Those of us that sell chicks do that all the time. I've left one with the mom though, twice, just to be nice to her. ☺️

Do you have a coop to put the mother and chicks in? To do it most calmly would be to take a partner, a flashlight, a laundry basket, and a towel.

Find her where she's sitting on the chicks and pick her and the chicks up, put in the laundry basket, and cover it with the towel for the walk home.

If you take her chicks and raise them until they're older, it depends on the breed but you most likely won't be able to just let them go on their own until they're at least a couple months old.

Back
Top Bottom