Can my ducks live on the pond

Jo Park

In the Brooder
May 11, 2023
Hello, I have two call ducks both 2 months old. They are currently on land with an outdoor run with water etc. We have noticed rats in and around them so wanting to move the duck house. Can they live on the pond if we put the house in the middle? Obviously I wouldn’t be able to get in to clean it out like I do now, but feel they would be safer? Is there pros and cons or is it completely out of the question?

Attachments

• IMG_9903.jpeg
    IMG_9903.jpeg
    831.2 KB · Views: 170
It doesn't sound like a great idea. What if the house needs to be repaired? The water might not be good for the structure. Someone who knows more about ducks can help answer your questions.

It doesn't sound like a great idea. What if the house needs to be repaired? The water might not be good for the structure. Someone who knows more about ducks can help answer your questions.
Thank you, my husband would build a structure for the house to sit on and we do have a little boat so repairs can be done that way if needed.

Predators swim really well and having a duck dinner would really give them the gumption to swim out to the house. Plus then you have flying predators and usually ducks prefer to sleep on the bank so poor things being so tiny would be gone in no time. Keep feed cleaned up and put up at night so you don't attract rats etc. I use baking soda mixed with cornmeal in side containers out of the weather to kill rats and mice. In winter in summer I let the snakes take care of them. Your 2 little Calls really need protection.

Back
Top Bottom