Can non layers eat layer feed for ~1 month?

Ermpickle

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
I have a mixed flock so I've been feeding starter and offering oyster shells ever since I got the chicks. Apparently my brain isn't working properly today because I bought a bag of layer instead of starter! I'm so mad at myself 😭 I feed organic non GMO corn & soy free so it isn't cheap and I really don't want to buy a second bag until I need it. I didn't even realize until I opened the bag (they look identical except for the bottom tag).

I have layers, 5 month olds and 3 month olds. Would they be okay eating the layer feed for a month (that's how long a bag typically lasts, though they'll probably start eating more as some are still growing)?

Ca toxicity is progressive. and its greatest impact is on developing birds. By 3 mo, they've already done a lot of their "putting together". If I had a million birds and ran a study, I could probably find some measurable impact over their lifespan - but it would be so tiny it might well disappear in statistical noise.

Go ahead and do it, you won't notice any differnece over their expected lifespan.

I have 14 ducks. Five drakes and 8 hens. In Ohio where it is starting to get colder one is still laying. Because of that they get one scoop of layer feed, one scoop of Game Bird Starter (because of a few molting and needing extra protein), one scoop of scratch grains and one scoop of Flock Raiser. They are all doing well. I just don't know which one is laying so I mix it all together and hopefully the one that is at least is eating some of the layer feed. They have never had health problems and are all doing well so it must not hurt them. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom