Can you have a silkie rooster with average sized hens?

downekc09

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Hello! I was curious... can you have a silkie rooster with average sized hens? Here's a list of hens that we have:

6 Buff orpingtons
1 Swedish Flower hen
1 Bielefelder
2 Jersey Giants
1 Barred Rock
1 Black Star
2 Easter Eggers
3 Wyandottes

We have never had any problems with our hens. They all get along great. Would they be mean to a smaller chicken breed like a silkie roo?

TIA!

Attachments

• 20210516_102210.jpg
    20210516_102210.jpg
    864.7 KB · Views: 66
Hello! I was curious... can you have a silkie rooster with average sized hens? Here's a list of hens that we have:

6 Buff orpingtons
1 Swedish Flower hen
1 Bielefelder
2 Jersey Giants
1 Barred Rock
1 Black Star
2 Easter Eggers
3 Wyandottes

We have never had any problems with our hens. They all get along great. Would they be mean to a smaller chicken breed like a silkie roo?

TIA!
They are probably going to bully him a little, but if you have a smooth integration process set in place, both parties will likely be fine. But its always easier to integrate more than one bird at a time.

6 Buff orpingtons
1 Swedish Flower hen
1 Bielefelder
2 Jersey Giants
1 Barred Rock
1 Black Star
2 Easter Eggers
3 Wyandottes

TIA!
It depends.. if you integrate him they should be fine. Depends on the temperament of your flock. They are more likely to ignore, avoid or have a scuffle now and again. Hens naturally like to follow a rooster. If you don't have another rooster they should take to him faster. I introduced a Serama rooster and 2 hens to my bigger birds and all is well. In fact the Serama rooster is King of the coop.. even though I have a rooster 5xs his size.

Just because he's smaller doesn't automatically mean they will be mean or it won't work out.
I have a cockerel who's half silkie and he's probably half or a little more than half the size of most of his ladies. He beat up another cockerel twice his size and mates with all the girls.

That being sad, silkies are known for being a more docile breed and since he would be the new bird, I would be careful to integrate him properly to give him the best chance of working out.

My grandma had silkies and full sized birds. They formed 2 different flocks and really didn't have anything to do with each other unless she threw feed out for em.

6 Buff orpingtons
1 Swedish Flower hen
1 Bielefelder
2 Jersey Giants
1 Barred Rock
1 Black Star
2 Easter Eggers
3 Wyandottes

TIA!
Late to this post, but I have a silkie roo that kinda gets bullied by two very large Orpingtons but when it’s time to do his business he’s very dominant and the hens squat down for him.
When it comes to food though he gets pecked on the head to F off. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom