Can you supplement chicken feed with plants, mealworms and fish?

If you can grow fish for them then you can avoid the most difficult/expensive parts of providing a do-it-yourself diet. That is getting the essential amino acids balanced without too much of something else - like fat (the main problem with meal worms) - or being too expensive (the main problem with things like flax).

Based on the rations given in textbooks from before there were commercial pellets, I would plant clover or alfalfa for them to graze in addition to whatever else you do.

And find a way to offer trace minerals. Something like Fertrell's balancer. Or at least salt or salt with selenium added. Usually, these kinds of rations assume part of the feed will be mash and this is added to that.

This is not everything needed.

I have about 20 hens that just free range and they get scraps. I don't give them pellets or crumbles unless it's winter time. They have always been very healthy since they have 2 acres to roam and lots of bugs and plants around to eat, however I got 12 silkies and I want to avoid buying pellets or crumbles but they don't forge as well as my other chickens and I have to put them in a different area since my other chickens bully them.

Question: Is there a way to supplement their food with plants, bugs and fish instead of having to buy pellets or crumbles?

I have the room and space to grow a garden and I have looked into breeding meal worms, and fish for them as well. I just don't know how to go about it.

I love my chickens and I'm giving my silkies feed right now but I'd also just like to look into all my options.

(the picture is of my Easter egger and one of my silkies)
It is advisable you can feed them on fresh green pastures and also kales

Back
Top Bottom