Cataracts on my canary

Nattyice

Chirping
Apr 8, 2022
Good afternoon people I’m posting to see if you can help me I saved this bird from the pet shop on Wednesday her left eye is shut closed and I’ve been doing saline eye rinse and have been improving has opened its eye wider but what I have noticed it looks like it has cataract in its eye it can’t seem to make eye contact with me on its left eye.

The mean pet shop seller told me she must of rub her eye against the cage ( meaning dirty cage) and so I said ok he said it’s not contiguous and so still not believe him the bird was around with other canaries just fine and they didn’t have the same problem.

When I took a look around her eye it does look inflamed little irritated eye little swollen but what should I do it has helped with the eye rinse but is she is blind is it infection or she is born that way or the cataract is something it has to be left alone I see the white in it’s pupil that’s how I know she is fine and alert and eating and happy but I feel bad I think it’s painful

5430DDEF-B143-4BE9-A78B-F9E3BF2BF7B6.jpeg
Day 1 without saline rinse

It looks like she is doing much better over the past few days. I don't know much on the topic so I won't be a big help. Are you quarantining her?
Yes away from my other birds because I wasn’t certain of the guy was saying the truth so I have to be safe

I think for now what you are doing is good. Maybe try taking her to a vet if you have one near you. Even if she does go all the way blind she can still have a happy life.

Totally I try my best yes right. Now California is incredibly expensive inflation is crazy I won’t able to afford her to the vet the only thing I afford was to bring her home and have a happy life here and feed her take care of her I don’t want her to die there with no care. Sometimes I feel these pet shop sellers don’t even care for these creatures I feel horrible for them

At least you are trying. Most pet shops breed small birds in bulk and raise them in unhygienic environments. It's also quite sad how low they sell for. People just buy birds on a whim because they see they are being sold for $25 a bird.

I recently rescued a budgie from my cousin. She had horribly neglected the bird and I'd considered abused her too. The poor thing has such terrible PTSD but we're slowly building trust.

I'm sorry it's not there fault I'll say and I'm happy for your budgie she deserves love that she never had.

That's what I say when i see them all the time there no food and dirty water i warn that man so many times but at the same time it isn't my business. He should know better he is a owner of a pet shop i shouldn't advise what to do on his shop

Back
Top Bottom