Caught a 6ft snake eating my chicken!

Ugh, snakes.
They are the #1 predator here (only eggs and youngsters so far)
Each year we add more reinforcements and think we've outsmarted them. Then they find a way to get in and kill that years favorite... only to find its too big to swallow. So frustrating.
We catch and relocate any we find hanging around the coop, but the ones that are caught in the act with the chicken already dead usually aren't granted clemancy.
We'll be breaking ground on a whole new barn/coop this spring, and I feel like Wile E Coyote planning the defenses.

Last edited:
Ugh, snakes.
They are the #1 predator here (only eggs and youngsters so far)
Each year we add more reinforcements and think we've outsmarted them, then they find away to get in and kill that years favorite only to find its too big to swallow. So frustrating.
We catch and relocate any we find hanging around the coop, but the one's that are caught in the act with the chicken already dead usually aren't granted clemancy.
We'll be breaking ground on a whole new barn/coop this spring, and I feel like Wile E Coyote planning the defenses.
Lol, congrats on getting a new barn/ coop. I wish I had a larger plot of land, I wd definitely expand my girls living quarters and run. I had no clue I wd love my chickens so much. I have 7 hens n 1 small roost. er. Recentld

sussexssll
I agree with the comments on venomous snakes. Like venomous spiders, they aren’t welcome in my little corner of the world.

But I was thrilled to have this neighbor visit my yard this summer.

View attachment 2860807
Its beautiful, what kind is it?

Lol, congrats on getting a new barn/ coop. I wish I had a larger plot of land, I wd definitely expand my girls living quarters and run. I had no clue I wd love my chickens so much. I have 7 hens n 1 small roost. er. Recentld

sussexssll

Its beautiful, what kind is it?
Bullsnake. Most ranchers and farmers like to keep them around barns for rodent and rattlesnake control.

I've moved down here from NY a yr a half ago, hoping never to encounter a snake. My neighbor said in the 25yrs living here he's never seen a copperhead!!! Last yr I've seen a nest of them under tree roots near the shed. 2 in our driveway and 1 in the chicken run! And last year blk snake in a tree, 1 in the back yard, 1 in the front yard. Too many snakes for my liking!!😵
You don't say where "here" is, and it's not in your profile. In general, of course.

I've moved down here from NY a yr a half ago, hoping never to encounter a snake. My neighbor said in the 25yrs living here he's never seen a copperhead!!! Last yr I've seen a nest of them under tree roots near the shed. 2 in our driveway and 1 in the chicken run! And last year blk snake in a tree, 1 in the back yard, 1 in the front yard. Too many snakes for my liking!!😵
I grew up in the southeast with copperheads, cottonmouths, and groundrattlers. I laugh at my neighbors who complain about rattlesnakes and tell them at least the ones out here warn you before biting.

Southeast here too. Thankfully the majority are white oak snakes, but we've found several moccasins near the house over the years also, and one rattlesnake.
The former owner of the property would catch white oaks and release them on the property to muscle out the venomous species. It worked more or less, but now there are tons of them and they always show up for chick season.
Former owner claimed they were so expert at pest control that he even used one to get rid of a troublesome girlfriend... just let it go in the house, and she moved out that day. 😂

What? I'm a man of varied experiences, who spends too much time in thought. I've had rattlesnake more than once. There are ways to do it well, and ways not to. Its like very thin white meat chicken. Dries out very easily.
I've had rattlesnake once. I can't say it was done properly but it was fresh and gently sauteed in a cast iron skillet around a camp fire after a long day's work so it might as well have been chicken as far as I was concerned. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom