Ceramic Eggs

Goose_Willis

Chirping
Jun 12, 2023
My ducks are doing the thing where they lay their eggs everywhere and change up their nests weekly so I'm thinking about getting some ceramic eggs to encourage them to lay in a few designated areas instead of anywhere that they can dig a hole.

I want to get brown or colored ceramic eggs instead of white so that it's easy for me to spot the difference but I'm worried that the ducks might know something is up if the eggs are different colors. Is that a thing or am I overthinking it?

Also, is there anything I need to do to get them to accept fake eggs or is the fact that they're egg shaped good enough?

I have Buffs and Cayugas for reference.

My ducks are doing the thing where they lay their eggs everywhere and change up their nests weekly so I'm thinking about getting some ceramic eggs to encourage them to lay in a few designated areas instead of anywhere that they can dig a hole.

I want to get brown or colored ceramic eggs instead of white so that it's easy for me to spot the difference but I'm worried that the ducks might know something is up if the eggs are different colors. Is that a thing or am I overthinking it?

Also, is there anything I need to do to get them to accept fake eggs or is the fact that they're egg shaped good enough?

I have Buffs and Cayugas for reference.
i used white ceramics and i put an x on them with a pen. I always looks for the X but sometimes when my husband or daughter would collect eggs they’d bring in the ceramics , but it wasn’t that hard to put them back though

I use white ceramics as well, but mine are so much larger than my duck’s eggs, it’s very obvious to me which ones are real and which are fake. My ceramics also weigh less than real eggs. My ducks don’t notice a difference 😂 The ceramics being egg-shaped is enough, you don’t have to do anything special. I haven’t used colored ceramics, so I couldn’t tell you about that.

I use the white ceramics also and after they in the nest for a while they look just like real egg dirt and all. I also use them in my chicken nest boxes they love to lay where there is an egg already. They are lighter in weight than a duck egg so easy to figure out which is real and which isn't.

I make ceramics, so I was thinking about making various sizes and colors of eggs. Sounds fun to me, I can make stripes and textures to ad extra details to make it easy to tell.

I make ceramics, so I was thinking about making various sizes and colors of eggs. Sounds fun to me, I can make stripes and textures to ad extra details to make it easy to tell.
Are you going to put them in the nest boxes? It would be interesting to see how a hen would react to an egg that had stripes or textures to it.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I bought brown ceramic eggs because that's what was available to me locally and after using them for about 2 weeks I can confirm that they still work even though my ducks lay white and gray eggs.

They always leave the ceramics on top of the real eggs but they're using the nest so I'll call it a win.

Back
Top Bottom