Changes in Egg Size?

Here is eggs for thought...one of my pullets must have heard about your hen and so she laid a whopper today too. Its about the same size as your biggest egg in your picture. This is her 1st or 2nd egg! I didn't expect the size to go up so fast! DH said keep that chicken!

Can you tell me what you mean you are Setting eggs. Are you going to incubate them or put them under a hen? Do you collect the eggs and keep them somewhere until you get so many and then set them? Does handling eggs make them not hatch? I thought I read that you had to be careful turning them over or you will drown the baby. What if the hen has not set on them, can you keep them a certain period of time before you have to incubate them. I have not clue what I am doing yet. I am considering getting an incubator until my hen decides if she will go broody. Is that what most do. I only have one hen and one roo right now. And they are banties. Thanks.

Marie

Setting eggs means putting them in an incubator or under a broody hen, but usually if you say setting, you mean a bator. You collect the eggs and store them in a cool place, not the fridge, large end with the air cell upwards, for up to two weeks, preferably only one week, then you put them in the bator. You turn the eggs, but not end to end, usually you tilt them slightly side to side so the yolk won't stick to one side of the egg. I store the eggs in an egg flat in my bsmt, which stays around 55 degrees in the summer and 45 degrees in the winter will I put them in the bator. Hope this clears some of it up for you!

Back
Top Bottom