Chick died what do I do with the next?

Citychick

Songster
12 Years
Jan 31, 2007
Two of the button quail started pipping one broke out quite aways and then stopped. It started to dry out at an odd angle still part way in the shell. I peeled the shell back slowly and It still had the yolk out? These chicks are late anyway. The next has just a smal hole with the beak sticking out it has been this way for three hours and made no progress. What do I do?
sad.png

Did the rest of the clutch hatch out normally? Were you incubating naturally or artificially? It sounds like it may have been a humidity problem.
I wish someone who knows more than I would answer!
Amy

Thanks! I increased the humidityafter those two, and we hatched five out sucessfully but then one more died in the night trying to hatch . My humidity was around where it was suppsed to be but when I increased it with a wet sponge things improved. I appreciate you answering though. I was starting to think that if you are the newbie here you are on your own for awhile! I was so stressed trying to read everything I could. I tried emailing a couple of breeders. But you are the first person to try to answer my question. Much appreciated!
Thanks, Tori

I'm glad you got some live babies! It sounds like the humidity level might have been the problem.
I'm sorry you didn't get a quicker response from the forum. Where is everyone? Usually the other members are right on such things!

I can't help because I've never hatched...but I'm sorry that you lost the 2 that you did...If you have more questions, you can always cross post to the EZboard site also.
Welcome! also.
smile.png

Thanks a bunch! I have been getting some silver hamburg chicks today and last night and had much better luck. This incubator must not hold humidity well and it's the one I am using to hatch. So I will just have to keep replacing the wet sponge more often.

be careful with sponges. Bacterial growth in them ... just rinse and squeeze out then microwave for three/four minutes on high to kill bacteria before reusing.

Back
Top Bottom