Chick not eating/drinking, not pooping, gasps, click sound when breathing. Please help!

It sounds like she needs the electrolyte and vitamins. You may use that product if it says it is a complete feed for birds. But chick feed is very food and probably something you have. Feed her with a dropper.

My little one is gone.

At about 11pm his belly was really tight and felt cold, and it was hard to warm up. I think the pressure inside his belly was making him gasp so much.
It happened again later and I just couldn't get his belly to warm up again. I was holding the chick closer to the heat lamp and rubbing his body. The gasping was easing and he became really quiet and tired. He would always push his legs against my hand, and then he just didn't anymore.
It was 2:35am before I calmed down enough to think of checking the time.

Do you have any ideas about what could have caused his swollen belly? And the 'gas'?
His 'bottom' was also yellow. Like an egg yolk kind of yellow.

I didn't get any photos of his bottom/vent area last night because I was trying to get his belly warm. But I have photos of when he was hatched. From about the middle of his abdomen and towards his vent had yellow inside. So where you can see greeny/black in this photo, it was yellow like yolk. Is that normal?
InkedIMG_3632_LI.jpg

Here's a side view from last night when I was trying to record his clicky breathing. You can see how high the yellow goes up his abdomen. However, the yellow bit on what I think is his thigh is where I could feel something that could be manipulated into position with my fingers, and I think I must have bruised him when I was feeling his thigh/hip bone. It looks like most of his leg is yellow in this photo though, and I don't remember that being the case last night.
IMG_3732 cropped.png

I've got videos of his clicking/breathing as well. It's too painful for me to watch them right now so might be a while before I can face uploading them. But I will upload them in the hope that they can help others who may experience the same issue and possibly save some lives.

Back
Top Bottom