Chick not zipping

FeeSeeMee

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2024
Tennessee
Hi, I'm new to hatching chickens and i'm having a bit of a problem. I've already had about 7 chicks hatch on their own (yay!) but there is one I'm worried about.
At about 11am the chick began to externally pip along with a few others, but now it's 4pm and the chick has just been sticking it's beak out and occasionally chirping. No zipping in sight. There is also some blood from where it ripped the membrane. I'm not sure what I can do. I've been trying to not intervene, but i'm getting worried. Any suggestions?

OK so, it usually can take 48 hours for them to hatch, your little chick could take a little longer as it hit a blood vessel, it could start chewing and that means he's drawing the blood inside him/her. Don't intervene yet when you see it actually struggling you might want to.
Wishing you the best
Welcome to BYC :welcome

OK so, it usually can take 48 hours for them to hatch, your little chick could take a little longer as it hit a blood vessel, it could start chewing and that means he's drawing the blood inside him/her. Don't intervene yet when you see it actually struggling you might want to.
Wishing you the best
Welcome to BYC :welcome
Thank you! He is chewing. That makes me feel better. Again, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom