Chick will only eat speck size pieces of food.

TheRusticRebel

Songster
5 Years
Apr 24, 2019
South Carolina, USA
I got 7 welsummer chicks this morning. 1 rooster and 6 hens. They hatched yesterday. They all seem to be doing fine. I showed them their water and food and put them under the MHP and they caught on right away. They eat, drink then nap a bit then repeat. Except i noticed 1 ( i have them marked) will not eat at the feeder and instead forages around the brooder and eats all the smallest pieces of feed she can find. Ive been crushing up the chick starter crumbles and sprinkling those on the floor and she eats it but i cant keep doing that , especially when i work.. Should i stop and see if she will eventually eat at the feeder with the rest of the chicks? I also crushed some feed and put it in a jar lid but she isnt eating from that either.

I should add shes otherwise acting like her brood mates. Napping drinking eating...seems alert and all.

Heres my newbies

Attachments

• 20230316_122355.jpg
    20230316_122355.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 5
Totally agree she will figure it out. Some of my littles have been very particular in the first few days on only eating the mash, not the crumbles, so I've always made sure there is enough of a combo for them to peck around and find the size that suits them. Not too long until they graduate to the crumble bits and start chowing down!

Back
Top Bottom