Jun 3, 2021
Hey y'all! I made a post about the actual injury a few days ago but TLDR; we had a 2 week old sebright chick get out of the brooder in the middle of the night and land on our rats cage, and she got bit through the cage on her foot and knee/hip.
The rats have been relocated to a different room, I feel so badly I should have known but I thought I had more time before the chicks started hopping up and out of the brooder! It's 24" deep!
Her hip is healing very nicely and she's not in any pain, but her foot is looking...odd. It's not infected, but there's a distinct line at her ankle where her foot is turning purple, it's curled up and very dry. I've called a lot of vets and they all said if I bring her in she will be put down and I just don't think that's reasonable since she eats and drinks and gets around fine and doesn't seem in pain, she's more upset that she can't play with the other chicks than anything else. I think the foot may have died, and I'm wondering what I should do? I'm happy to keep her indoors as a "pet" and give her special care. Should I just wait to see what happens? I would bring her right to a vet but like I said, the ones in my area don't really have experience with tiny birds and said the only thing they can do is euthanasia. Her leg above the ankle is very pink and healthy, and the discoloration has not spread beyond her ankle at all. I've been cleaning her injuries with gentle iodine and pain relieving baby ointment and she's been in a sterile hospital brooder since the accident. I've heard of birds who lose their foot and still have a good life, I just want to make sure she's comfortable. Does anyone have any advice or their own experience with something similar? Thank you!

Can you post any pictures? It does sound like the foot is dead and shriveling, just as frostbite or a crush injury would do. It will self-amputate, and that can take weeks. Continue using iodine daily. Many chickens can get around on one leg, so it is definitely worth giving a chance.

Can you post any pictures? It does sound like the foot is dead and shriveling, just as frostbite or a crush injury would do. It will self-amputate, and that can take weeks. Continue using iodine daily. Many chickens can get around on one leg, so it is definitely worth giving a chance.
E00D4C6C-3F50-4D18-BF07-2B3F957DCF0F.jpeg

I compared her healthy leg to her injured one and besides the foot there's no difference in color. I just want to make sure it's not infected! Her temperature seems normal too, we have a healthy sebright the same age so we've been able to kind of compare them to gauge how she's doing. I was thinking it would self amputate, I just want to make sure letting it do its thing is the best choice for her!

Hey y'all! I made a post about the actual injury a few days ago but TLDR; we had a 2 week old sebright chick get out of the brooder in the middle of the night and land on our rats cage, and she got bit through the cage on her foot and knee/hip.
The rats have been relocated to a different room, I feel so badly I should have known but I thought I had more time before the chicks started hopping up and out of the brooder! It's 24" deep!
Her hip is healing very nicely and she's not in any pain, but her foot is looking...odd. It's not infected, but there's a distinct line at her ankle where her foot is turning purple, it's curled up and very dry. I've called a lot of vets and they all said if I bring her in she will be put down and I just don't think that's reasonable since she eats and drinks and gets around fine and doesn't seem in pain, she's more upset that she can't play with the other chicks than anything else. I think the foot may have died, and I'm wondering what I should do? I'm happy to keep her indoors as a "pet" and give her special care. Should I just wait to see what happens? I would bring her right to a vet but like I said, the ones in my area don't really have experience with tiny birds and said the only thing they can do is euthanasia. Her leg above the ankle is very pink and healthy, and the discoloration has not spread beyond her ankle at all. I've been cleaning her injuries with gentle iodine and pain relieving baby ointment and she's been in a sterile hospital brooder since the accident. I've heard of birds who lose their foot and still have a good life, I just want to make sure she's comfortable. Does anyone have any advice or their own experience with something similar? Thank you!
omg are we like long lost cousins. im currently dealing with a rat wing situation. Im sorry about ur little one. and i hope it works out.

Back
Top Bottom