Chicken corn soup

Mtnboomer

Crowing
Mar 17, 2019
Southwest Virginia (mountains)
Hey yall,
My mother laid the foundation for my cooking skills founded deeply in Pennsylvania Dutch style. I followed her recipe with one of the roosters we butchered last fall except i add a twist with some thyme, basil, and oregano. It was delicious but was missing the egg flavor that I love from my mother's version. Hers is the perfect taste of egg without being "eggy." If that makes sense.

This is the opposite of what I expected as she makes hers with store bought eggs when im not there to bring her some of ours. Next time i will add more hard boiled eggs and see if thats the fix. But either way, its a great soup!
Ingredients:
1 rooster or old hen
2 stalks of chopped celery with leaves
1 pint of sliced carrots
3 hard boiled eggs (sliced)
2 pints of corn
1 onion (chopped)
2 tablespoons of your favorite chicken broth base
1 tsp of salt
1tsp black pepper
2 tablespoons of Basil
2 tablespoons of oregano
1 tablespoons of thyme
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
Rivels
Directions:
Boil chicken in a stock pot for 2 hrs. Keep bird covered adding water as needed. Add chicken broth base and pepper. Let boil 2 more hours. Remove the bird and allow to rest while to you add all ingredients EXCEPT eggs and rivels. Then debone the chicken and chop chicken meat before returning to the pot. Allow it to simmer for 20 min.

At this point taste and add salt as needed.

Make rivels by combining 1 egg, 2 cups of flour, pinch of salt, and a splash of milk. Mix in a bowl until little dough balls form and drop them in the soup. I always to pull mine apart and make balls. It never happens on its own for me.

Add eggs and simmer for 15 more min.

Taste broth again and add a touch more salt if needed but be careful as the flavors really come out the next day and it can get too salty. I think the leftovers are more flavorful each day!

Serve. Eat. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom