Chicken & Egg Math

7 Biddies

Crowing
10 Years
May 22, 2012
NE GA Mountains
My Coop
My Coop
I just posted this on another thread, but wanted to open it up to more members and get their feedback.

I just figured out that I spend $75 per month on organic feed ... alone. No grit, no oystershell, no meal worms. When all 7 girls start producing, I can figure on about 5 or 6 eggs per day, which is about 3 dozen a week. This adds up to 12 dozen a month ... in a good month. Divide $75 by 12, and you get $6.25 per dozen. *IF* I sell them!! And, that's not counting the cost of buying them, brooding them, the coop, or any supplies such as waterers, etc.

Talk about chicken math!!!

How much are your eggs worth?

One should never figure the cost per egg produced.
hide.gif
Just imagine if you factored in man hours even at minimum wage.
barnie.gif

This hurts just to think about - I currently have 8 three month old birds (5 hens and 3 roos) and 6 adults (5 hens and one roo) - and no one is laying! The "babies" have about two more months before they will lay and the adults are moulting. So that puts me in negative egg numbers with no break on the feed costs.
he.gif
But the new feathers coming in are so clean and pretty!

I don't want to think how much the eggs cost... but they are my chickens so they are priceless. :p

At least they are worth eating unlike my silly single tiel who likes to lay eggs... it's no good for her!

One should never figure the cost per egg produced.
hide.gif
Just imagine if you factored in man hours even at minimum wage.
barnie.gif

I didn't calculate man hours because I consider that fun and recreation! During the work week, I usually just go down to the coop when I get home to feed the girls, clean their waterer, collect eggs, and put the broody in the run for a couple of hours. Then, before bedtime, I open the pop door to let the broody back in and take care of anything else that may need it ... like a snack. My coop is easy to maintain, so I don't think of it as work. The only hard part is getting 50 lbs of feed down to the coop. I do the first half of the bag in buckets, then carry the half empty bag down and pour it into the storage container.

Back
Top Bottom