Chicken got tongue stuck on string!

Shibabe

Hatching
Dec 5, 2022
Hi!

I have an 8 week old chick that must have been pecking at the side of my temporary portable mesh chicken coop and I found her this morning stuck trying to pull away from the string still attached to the coop. Her tongue was being pulled out of her mouth. I’m not sure how long she was like that, but her crop is still full so I’m assuming it may have been all night. Poor thing.

I cut the string from the coop and was able to get the string off her head but I think she had been pulling so hard that the string is embedded in her tongue and may have cut her tongue as well. I cut the string as close to the tongue as possible.

I had to leave for work. I made sure she was able to eat and drink before I left, but I’m worried about the string still being stuck on her tongue!

I’m very new to chickens and these are my first chicks. As soon as I get home I’m going to see if I can manage to get the string off her tongue if it’s still there. Any suggestions to help her recover? Will a cut tongue be detrimental to her?

Thank you guys!

Welcome To BYC

Hopefully you will be able to remove the string, if you have a small pair of cuticle scissors those may be good to use.

If it's just cut, it should heal.

If circulation has been cut off for a long time, then there could be long lasting tissue damage.

This is going to be one of those wait and see type of things, but I would try to get the embedded string removed asap.

When you have time, please post photos.

Welcome To BYC

Hopefully you will be able to remove the string, if you have a small pair of cuticle scissors those may be good to use.

If it's just cut, it should heal.

If circulation has been cut off for a long time, then there could be long lasting tissue damage.

This is going to be one of those wait and see type of things, but I would try to get the embedded string removed asap.

When you have time, please post photos.
Thank you! I will get it removed asap. Hopefully it will get loose and fall off while she eats. I will post photos when I get back home!

Back
Top Bottom