Chicken Isolating Herself

AliciaMur2395

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2023
I have a bantam chicken (~8months old) who up until this last week or so has been sleeping with the others on the roost. Now she is sleeping in the nesting box. The nesting box is in a completely separate part of the coop and is lower than the roost. I also noticed she is in the coop on the roost more during the day instead of in the run.

Now she has always been picked on a little bit, but nothing too bad. Mostly it’s because she zooms around and gets under the others feet so they get annoyed with her.

I have been treating my flock with prescribed antibiotics (LS-50) because I found a couple of lash eggs. I’m not sure who it is because everyone is acting healthy. I suspect it’s her laying them because she quit laying and they were very small. She started laying again 3 days ago.

Also around the time she started sleeping in the nesting box, I adjusted the light in their coop so it is on a bit later since it’s getting dark ealier.

I’m not sure if she is isolating herself because she is she being bullied, because she is sick, or because she is being a princess and is mad about the light.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance!

I have a bantam chicken (~8months old) who up until this last week or so has been sleeping with the others on the roost. Now she is sleeping in the nesting box. The nesting box is in a completely separate part of the coop and is lower than the roost. I also noticed she is in the coop on the roost more during the day instead of in the run.

Now she has always been picked on a little bit, but nothing too bad. Mostly it’s because she zooms around and gets under the others feet so they get annoyed with her.

I have been treating my flock with prescribed antibiotics (LS-50) because I found a couple of lash eggs. I’m not sure who it is because everyone is acting healthy. I suspect it’s her laying them because she quit laying and they were very small. She started laying again 3 days ago.

Also around the time she started sleeping in the nesting box, I adjusted the light in their coop so it is on a bit later since it’s getting dark ealier.

I’m not sure if she is isolating herself because she is she being bullied, because she is sick, or because she is being a princess and is mad about the light.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance!
I have silkies and one who is persistently sleeping in a nest box. She is small and butts her butt up to the corner of it so it looks like a fuzzy black ball in there. I do not know why, but she's always done that. The rest are either on the rail in front of it or up on top of it.

If she's not exhibiting any other symptoms and is eating and drinking just fine, I'd assume it's just her thing. Now if she starts staying in there during the day, too, then you'd have yourself a broody hen.

If you really don't want her to do that, you could block off the nesting box at night.

Back
Top Bottom