Pics
(May 8 - Day 20) I caught the bug that my wife had, so I haven't been 100% and we've had rain for about a week straight so I've mostly been hunkering down indoors.
I noticed that the City of Austin regulations listed here were out of date, so I made a new post

Today, the sun came out, so run v1 got assembled.
1000020006.jpg

The ground here isn't entirely level, but it seems like the best spot with a healthy amount of shade. Roof and lower parts are equivalent to 1" square welded wire, but the top half of the sides is alternating 1" x 4" and 1" x 2", so I'll probably try to source some 1/2" hardware cloth before I build a stand for their Snaplock coop (aka the Garage Mahal) and move the entire setup inside of the poultry pen.
Current plan is to eventually put a large roof over the entire pen and 1-2 walls as a wind break so that the entire pen becomes the "coop", and the Snap Lock will remain just for sleeping, huddling during inclement weather and nesting boxes.

I plan to do something like this from the Vaughn Homestead:

Chicks aren't fully feathered so no one has been allowed outside yet. I do plan to eventually build an expansion that goes over to the area to the right of my picture. The back right corner of the pen has a removable screen so that it's directly connected to the pen. I'll probably use ground contact PT lumber with a clear roof.

City regulations say I need at least 30' from all neighbor's residences, so I pulled a tape measure out to 20'6" and had about an inch to spare, just on my side of the fence. There should 10'+ on my neighbor's side of the fence, but I have ample time to confirm all measurements before anything becomes less temporary.
1000020007.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom