Chicken pecked out an eye

Tssquared

Hatching
Sep 20, 2023
I have 7 hens and one of them lost vision in one eye due to illness. I kept her inside through the winter until she healed. The other chickens refuse to accept her and I'm sure they'd kill her if left alone. We have build a separate section in the run and made a small coop for her in the run. She can see the other chickens but now that winter is coming I'm concerned she will be cold without the others to keep her warm. Even with tarps around the run, it will be too cold for her to run around and I don't think the others will come out of their coop and she will be lonely. I thought about buying a stuffed animal to keep next to her in her coop to keep her warm. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Your main concern is her being cold or lonely?
Have you tried taking one bird from the main flock to put with her?

Your main concern is her being cold or lonely?
Have you tried taking one bird from the main flock to put with her?
Right now there is the fence that separates them so she can at least see them. Once winter comes, the others may not come out to the run where her little coop is so I'm sure she'll be lonely. I can try one of the other birds with her and see how they do. Funny thing, one of the birds had actually flown over the fencing and was in with her this morning. No blood either. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom