Chicken repeatedly sick

Blynken

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2022
My chicken is a 2.5 year old black asian hen. Have had her and 2 sisters since 1 day old. She has always had some poop stick to feathers so I just keep them trimmed. Her stools have always been normal and several fecals negative.
All has been well until July when all 3 stopped laying. I thought it was heat. They laid very minimal thru August, not sure that Blynken, (the bird in question) ever started. The in Sept. I got to abnormal shaped eggs with very thin shells. I always have calcium out (although they don't seem to touch it). They also get organic layer feed.
Then she started acting strange and I felt like she had fluid in her abdomen. I picked her up to bring her in so I could observe her. She started turning purple as I put pressure on belly. I kept her in for 10 days. I drained abdomen and got a yellow somewhat milky fluid. Treated with tetracycline and anti-inflammatory. She responded well. Eating, drinking, getting feisty. Put her back outside a few days after finishing antibiotics. She was doing great for a few weeks, but still no eggs. Then last week I noticed LG amount of liquid under roost in coop. That night I watched her carefully and she was drinking alot, then she pooped pure clear water. I felt her crop and it was large and hard. Brought her back in and next morning her crop had not emptied. Gave oil and started massages. Only one vet around here Wil see chickens, and not til Monday. Did oil and massages for 3 days, it softened up and I was sure would empty, but never did. Whole wkend she drank huge amounts of water and passed only water. Got her in Monday and did surgery to empty crop. They cleared and flushed. No obvious reason for blockage. Put on metronidazole. She has not wanted to eat much at all all week. I've been having to force feed her. She's lost alot of weight. I stopped antibiotics Fri, to see if that's why and she finally started eating much better today, but wont eat her feed, just favorite treats (yogurt, works, bread, seeds, etc...). Shes passing stools now but they are very loose and she's still drinking alot of water. Any thoughts or recommendations would be much appreciated. I know she's tired of being inside and misses her sisters.

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your hen.

Does she have Canker? (yellow smelly lesions inside her beak)

Often a crop problem, slowing of the crop, etc. is a symptom of an underlying condition.
Since your hen has fluid in the abdomen (yet another symptom), then best guess is that she has a reproductive disorder and/or her organs are in a state of decline.

Cancer, EYP, Salpingitis or similar can all be common in laying hens. Fluid (ascites) can build up in the abdomen as a result of these disorders. Draining is not cure, but it can buy time, give the hen some relief making her more comfortable and is often part of giving supportive care. An antibiotic sometimes is given to help with inflammation and infection.

A crop will slow due to inflammation from reproductive disorders, so this is not uncommon either.

Some hens do get better for periods of times only to decline, going up and down for a while - having good days and bad. As you mention in your title - repeatedly getting sick.

Treating symptoms as they arise sometimes is the best you can do. Keep her comfortable, hydrated and eating. Address crop symptoms as they arise. Draining fluid if you feel it's needed.
None are cures, just supportive care measures to see if they can rally, sometimes, sadly even with care and love, they are unable to overcome whatever condition is causing the decline and they need to be kindly let go.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your hen.

Does she have Canker? (yellow smelly lesions inside her beak)

Often a crop problem, slowing of the crop, etc. is a symptom of an underlying condition.
Since your hen has fluid in the abdomen (yet another symptom), then best guess is that she has a reproductive disorder and/or her organs are in a state of decline.

Cancer, EYP, Salpingitis or similar can all be common in laying hens. Fluid (ascites) can build up in the abdomen as a result of these disorders. Draining is not cure, but it can buy time, give the hen some relief making her more comfortable and is often part of giving supportive care. An antibiotic sometimes is given to help with inflammation and infection.

A crop will slow due to inflammation from reproductive disorders, so this is not uncommon either.

Some hens do get better for periods of times only to decline, going up and down for a while - having good days and bad. As you mention in your title - repeatedly getting sick.

Treating symptoms as they arise sometimes is the best you can do. Keep her comfortable, hydrated and eating. Address crop symptoms as they arise. Draining fluid if you feel it's needed.
None are cures, just supportive care measures to see if they can rally, sometimes, sadly even with care and love, they are unable to overcome whatever condition is causing the decline and they need to be kindly let go.
Thank you for your time. She doesn't have any sores in her mouth. Her crop is now emptying, but she's just not putting much in it. Right before this happened with her crop she was eating great. I guess I was hoping (since her abdomen has no fluid any more) that maybe the antibiotics she was on for repro problem may have killed her gut flora and that's what caused the crop stasis. But I'm not entirely surprised by your response, I'm still praying for a miracle though. ☺️

Thank you for your time. She doesn't have any sores in her mouth. Her crop is now emptying, but she's just not putting much in it. Right before this happened with her crop she was eating great. I guess I was hoping (since her abdomen has no fluid any more) that maybe the antibiotics she was on for repro problem may have killed her gut flora and that's what caused the crop stasis. But I'm not entirely surprised by your response, I'm still praying for a miracle though. ☺️

Just keep working on her.

A little buttermilk mixed in her feed will provide probiotics. Think mushy feed. Bits of soft cooked or scrambled egg. While it's tempting to give goodies like bread and seeds, I would focus on her eating mainly her nutritionally balanced feed that is easy to process. Especially since the vet did crop surgery. Bread can become gummy, seeds need to be processed more.

Just keep working on her.

A little buttermilk mixed in her feed will provide probiotics. Think mushy feed. Bits of soft cooked or scrambled egg. While it's tempting to give goodies like bread and seeds, I would focus on her eating mainly her nutritionally balanced feed that is easy to process. Especially since the vet did crop surgery. Bread can become gummy, seeds need to be processed more.
Thanks, I'll try soaking her feed in Buttermilk. I didn't think of that. I was just desperate to get her to eat, it's been a week.

Back
Top Bottom