Chicken run/ coop

Hatching
May 1, 2018
Hey guys!

First time chicken keeper here! (My parents had 3 when I was back home many years ago so I have some experience)

Anyway, back to the point. I'm looking for a little bit of feedback/ constructive critisism/ pointers for the coop I have built/ am building

My run/ coop is so far, laid out and is rectangular in length with the nest box accessing directly out into it so they are free to come and go. Shut in at night of course. The outdoor area of the run/ coop is 20m2 with the option of free range (on grass) when I'm home.

My plan is to dig the wire into the ground to try and prevent predators digging under so easy.

However, the "chicken wire" I have picked up has fairly large gaps rather than the smaller holed stuff. Would this suffice? It is 50mm diameter.

Living in the UK there is the risk of wildlife getting in but no snakes etc but I'm happy to take advice here.

Surface wise I have stones on one half and chippings on the other half - in an attempt to stop the run turning to mush- typical UK weather.

Is there anything else I should put thought into before I get the girls?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have raccoons? They seem to be the most common bane here, and that's why people (here in the US) don't like chicken wire, as they have articulated digits and hands that can get through it. But just about everything else is stopped by chicken wire, and it would be great if raccoons weren't so ubiquitous.

Weasels/Stoats might be a bigger concern in the UK, not sure.

Welcome to BYC!

Fox could chew thru chicken wire, stoats would slip right thru the 50mm holes.

My run/ coop is so far, laid out and is rectangular in length with the nest box accessing directly out into it so they are free to come and go.
This part doesn't make sense to me.
The birds usually go from coop to run thru the pop door, not the nests.
How big is the coop itself... and how many birds do you plan on keeping??

Also consider large dogs tearing the wire and getting into your run. Here we have hardware cloth, with 1/2" (about 1 cm) openings, and woven wire horse fencing, about 5 cm x 10 cm, to go over the hardware cloth. 'Chicken wire' is a waste, as far as predator protection is concerned.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom