Chicken Seriously Sick-Not sure what it is-please help!

bockerchickens

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2023
1 year old Plymouth Rock. Appeared to maybe have an impacted crop 5 days ago so isolated, gave her olive oil and massaged and it appears to have gone away.

Still, the chicken appears listless, stands basically still and will rest her eyes significantly.
Comb appears whiter than her sisters and she's definitely lighter.
I have confirmed that she is pooping, though I'm not sure how much.
She doesn't seem to be eating much food-even cat food which they seem to adore (see pic).
Her keel (?) bone seems to be extending through the stomach area, which is very concerning to me.
Her breath doesn't smell particularly fowl to me, but I'm not sure what smell I'm looking for.
I don't feel any egg stuck in her, but I'm not sure.

See sticking out keel bone
keel.jpg

See how recessed her stomach is compared to bone:
Keel 1.jpg

Vent-dirty but she has pooped not sure how much: Vent.jpg

Face shot-see comb and eyes: Choc_Face.jpg
Better shot of comb: Chocolate COmb.jpg
Sister comb for reference: Sister Comb.jpg

She has green diarrhea, so most likely that she doesn't have enough nutrition. You may want to give her probiotics. When did you de-worm her last time? If you haven't de-worm her in last a couple months, deworm her with Valbazen or safeguard to see if that's the issue.

She has green diarrhea, so most likely that she doesn't have enough nutrition. You may want to give her probiotics. When did you de-worm her last time? If you haven't de-worm her in last a couple months, deworm her with Valbazen or safeguard to see if that's the issue.
Is there any non drug versions of deworming? I have never dewormed them.

Is there any non drug versions of deworming? I have never dewormed them.
If you are talking about DE or pumpkin seeds, just forget about it. They do NOT work. You can find both probiotics and safeguard in TSC. They are very safe. Please note that there are many reasons that a chicken is sick. I just always try to treat for most common problems first.

If you are talking about DE or pumpkin seeds, just forget about it. They do NOT work. You can find both probiotics and safeguard in TSC. They are very safe. Please note that there are many reasons that a chicken is sick. I just always try to treat for most common problems first.
Thanks. I'll try, she's definitely not doing well.

She is still not doing well. I found her out in her little pen tonight lying on her side and lethargic. How many times should I administer valbazen to her? @TillyPeeps

It takes time. You only need to repeat Valbazen in 10 days. If you don't see any improve in 3 days, it may not be the problem. It's always a good idea to give her a little oregano oil to help her fighting illness. Make sure she doesn't have impacted crop anymore. Please check for mites and lice. Also, check her eyes to see if it's red. Or if she has water belly. Those could be indication of infection or organ failure. Without knowing what exactly happening, you can try to treat her with antibotics for potential infection. Give some probotics with antibotics.. Did you recently have new chickens (not including day old chicks from hatchery) added to your flock? If so, it could be something contagious like Marek's.

Unfortunately, most time that we don't really know what is really happening and can only guess and try. Not everybody have avian vet around or can afford it. And there are so many chicken illnesses are not even treatable, so we can only try our best. I'm definitely not an expert. I can only give you some suggestions based on my own experience.

I hear you. She's not eating hardly anything at all but she's drinking water a lot. I don't think she's going to make it honestly.

Back
Top Bottom