Chicken tractor/coop

Alaynalzenner

Hatching
Jun 8, 2023
Hi all,

I am not handy at all and am trying to find a prefab coop or tractor that would work for 6-7 hens. Does anyone have any recommendations? I was looking on that chicken coop but doesn’t seem to have many reviews. Would prefer a coop that is moveable so they can get access to different parts of the yard and grass.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BYC! This the best place I've ever found for sharing stories and getting answers for all your chicken questions. I'm glad you joined us!

If you really want a pre-built coop or chicken tractor, I'd look on FB marketplace, ebay, or craigslist for someone selling their chicken tractor or portable coop. If you can't find one there, a "hoop coop" is probably the easiest coop in the world to build, and it's portable. Material list is short and skill level is about a "2".

I did a search on this site for hoop coops and came up with an abundance of threads and articles by different members, here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...ries][3]=10&c[child_categories]=1&o=relevance

Further, you could check out the Learning Center category for chicken coops for lots of great ideas and guidance, here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/

I'd stay far away from prefab coops on the retail market. Seriously, do not buy one. They're notorious for being too cramped, poorly ventilated, and overpriced. As a suggestion for one who's "not very handy", you could hire a carpenter or handyman, neighbor, relative or friend to build one for you based on one of the designs above. It would be better built and cheaper than anything you find at a store.

FWIW, I once met a tiny little lady at a home improvement store where I worked. She said she "wasn't very handy" and had never even operated a cordless screwdriver, but she wanted to build her own custom shower in her basement bathroom. It took her a few years, but little by little, she built a 6-ft x 4-ft custom shower with bench and did all the carpentry, tile work, electrical (for a light in the shower), and plumbing all by herself. She watched videos, read instruction sheets, and asked bunches of questions. When done, it was watertight, fully operational, and absolutely beautiful.

So... don't be afraid to tackle a hoop coop by yourself. There's no "right" way to do it and you can't really mess it up. You just have to be creative sometimes to figure out a way to attach this or that and come up with ideas. This forum is a great place to ask those questions! Good luck!

I can definitely recommend hoop coops. I've used them in different builds since 2014.

The original 3 were on wood frames & tractored around previous property. 2 CP making them 100" long (a little over 8') & 8' wide. I'm in process of removing the chicken wire, the wood framed fronts/backs & wood bases. They are now in permanent spots. The CP will have the bottom 2' done in 1/2" HWC. The CPs will be raised 2' off the ground, with 1 16' cut in half lengthwise CP w/ 1/2" HWC for the bottom 2' on each side. This should allow for the now 16' coop to be spread to 10'. So refurbished CP hoop coops will be 10x16'.

The front will have a double row of cinder blocks w/ a metal dog kennel panel w/ a centered gate. T-posts will hold the panels in place. I don't like applying hog rings & have managed to break at least 2 hog ring pliers. 1 less expensive pair & 1 more expensive (not the most expensive on market). The chicken wire was attached via zipties & has worked well. I also now have larger metal zipties & rebar wire.

The backs will be part cinder blocks, part HWC & part wood where the nest boxes are going. I haven't gotten that far yet while I've been building raised garden beds in my front yard. Current chickens are in tractors in front yard.

I also have 2 coops I built out of 1 CP w/ 2x4" wire. 1 sits w/ bottoms of CP on ground & 1 is raised a bit... they are secured w/ T- posts. The chickens that were in them free ranged. Now building runs for those coops

There were 4 pens made of 2x4" wire when we moved in. They are only about 4' tall. I removed the tops, hooped them w/ CP W/ 2x4" wire & can now walk in them.

Coops, CP & pens

I now have 4 tractors made from CP & 2x4/wire. 5'wx8'l. They are in an easy A-frame style. But because of the A-frame style, it does actually lose ground area. Playing w/ that too. Only wood is the tractor base & roosts, currently. I am keeping smaller breeding groups in them - works best w/ no more then 6 hens & roo. Best with pair, trio or quad.

Chicken tractors

Back
Top Bottom