Chicken was caught in glue trap!

chickens in snow

Hatching
Dec 26, 2022
I recently moved into a studio apt and brought one of my elderly hens inside during this cold freeze. Yesterday evening she wandered under my bed and onto a glue trap(!!) my landlord left there. Her foot got badly stuck.

I got her out of the glue trap and cleaned her up with soap and water. She was stressed so I then put her in a box to relax and sleep.

This morning I'm going to get the remainder of the glue out with marula oil and then follow with soap and water. BUT I need advice:

She preened and got some glue in her beak. She keeps opening and closing it like she has a bad taste in her mouth. How do I safely clean her beak??

She broke open a scale on her foot while I was getting her out. I have neosporin and vetericyn plus but don't know what else to do.

Also, she's eating but won't drink water:(

Olive oil and a cotton ball, she'll be fine just needs some time to settle
So clean the inside of her beak with a little oil? I don't have a cotton ball or olive oil and the roads are iced over, but marula oil and a paper towel might work? My The Ordinary marula oil has been working great to get the glue out of her feathers.

Any suggestions on getting her to drink?

And thank you!!!

She is not amenable to opening her beak for cleaning BUT I left the marula oil on her feathers for the time being and she's preening the oil off. I'm hoping that she'll get the oil in her beak and that will clean off the beak glue. If that doesn't work, I'll be more forceful with a tissue ball

So clean the inside of her beak with a little oil? I don't have a cotton ball or olive oil and the roads are iced over, but marula oil and a paper towel might work? My The Ordinary marula oil has been working great to get the glue out of her feathers.

Any suggestions on getting her to drink?

And thank you!!!
Can you see any stickiness in her mouth? I wouldn't worry unless it's obvious. As above poster said, make a wet mash so she doesn't dehydrate.

Back
Top Bottom