Chicken with a "cold"

lsobalvarro

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2023
SW FL
I have a chicken who looks sick. I was told to give her some tetracycline but Tractor Supply said they don't carry it because they were forced to remove meds from their stores.
She doesn't look good but still eating and drinking. Any suggestions?

Chewy needs a prescription for the tylosin tartrate. Vet wants $75 to see my chicken.
I don't know her age since my friend bought 6 and sold me 2. They are much older than my young girls who have not laid yet. She's on layer pellets and free ranges in my back yard. I give my chickens lots of veggies from my garden too.
I put some minced garlic and some drops of oregano in the water. Hoping to boost health.

She's lethargic and keeps eyes closed. I gave both my older girls an Epsom salt bath a few days ago...they had stopped laying eggs. It's in the middle 90's here and that may be why they aren't laying eggs.

Do you think they are egg bound? Or are they just not laying because they are ill?

I would be afraid that the bath chilled her, but that would be hard to do in the 90s, I would think.

Garlic is actually toxic to chickens. Not sure about oregano, but it seems strong enough it may hurt rather than help.

What are her symptoms exactly? Other than lethargy.

Chewy needs a prescription for the tylosin tartrate. Vet wants $75 to see my chicken.
I don't know her age since my friend bought 6 and sold me 2. They are much older than my young girls who have not laid yet. She's on layer pellets and free ranges in my back yard. I give my chickens lots of veggies from my garden too.
I put some minced garlic and some drops of oregano in the water. Hoping to boost health.
Cut out the garlic, it's often toxic and oregano oil can be caustic without a carrier oil.
The veggies should be less than 10% of their diet or it dilutes their nutrition

I have a chicken who looks sick. I was told to give her some tetracycline but Tractor Supply said they don't carry it because they were forced to remove meds from their stores.
She doesn't look good but still eating and drinking. Any suggestions?

She's lethargic and keeps eyes closed. I gave both my older girls an Epsom salt bath a few days ago...they had stopped laying eggs. It's in the middle 90's here and that may be why they aren't laying eggs.
How old is she?
What do you mean she has a cold? Does she have respiratory symptoms - coughing, sneezing, bubbles in the eyes, mucous, etc.?

Is this one of the new birds or one of your older girls? I'm a bit confused about the whole bathing thing?
If you have older hens and it's in the 90s summer time, they can often take a break, it doesn't mean they have colds?

For respiratory disease/symptoms like Mycoplasma, Tylan/Tylosin is often a good choice. You will have to purchase it online. https://allbirdproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-generic

Back
Top Bottom