Chickens and dog doors.

DParker75089

Songster
Mar 20, 2020
D/FW Texas
We're going to install a wood-and-hog-panel railing with 2 gates around the perimeter of our back porch to keep the free-ranging yard birds off it and our newly-acquired patio furniture (for obvious reasons). We want to install a dog door in one of the gates so that our pooches can let themselves in and out of the patio area, while keeping the chickens out (I keep their flight feathers clipped, so that should keep them from coming over the top of the railing, which will be a little over 3 ft above ground level...and if not I can always add a wire around the top to handle that). Has anyone here ever used a dog door in a patio or other enclosure with free-ranging birds, and if so...were they able to find their way through it?

I have a dog door that goes into our sunroom, sometimes I swore I shut the door and I'll find my Barred Rock in there, so I'm not sure if she goes through the dog door or not. She definitely goes in there if the doors left open. But like I said I'm not sure if she goes through the dog door, never seen her do it.

Back
Top Bottom