Chilled Poult 3/4 mos old - am I on the right track?

HeritageFan

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Sep 21, 2022
My friend got some 3-4 month old poults yesterday.

They came from a farm where they were getting cold water, no heat access, and access to come and go from their barn.
All their birds looked healthy and happy (Id estimate ~50 turkeys of various ages, and a handful of bantam chickens that ran in a huge open barn and over about 2 acres of pasture), no lice/ mites/ funny poos (I went w her and check carefully....)

My friend has a similar set up for her other turkeys and ducks (she keeps only hens and they are all together in a very large area ....although she decided to get 1 Royal palm Tom and three hens and has an area to separate them into another space when it’s time....and the poult that she’s working on is her baby Tom...)
There are also ample covered areas to access, but she does not coop them at night, despite my best efforts to convince her to do so.

One of the poults was cold this morning; cold feet, not really moving much.
She scooped him up and put him in her jacket.

I told her to get lukewarm water w honey or sugar, dip his beak until she’s sure he swallows.
Scramble an egg and feed it also lukewarm

I’m running home to grab
- soldier fly larvae (in case he doesn’t eat the eggs, I want to be sure he gets something as I wasn’t there to make sure he was eating last night)
- poultry cell
....should I also take her some
b complex?
- my “mommas heating pad” to loan her

It was very rainy yesterday and last night, dry today but there is a constant wind that is quite cold (by PNW standards 😂)
I’m thinking he went out, maybe got wet, and the wind pushed it over the top. He was tucked in his “house” (it is covered, open on the front but not facing the wind, and had deep, fresh straw bedding) w his lady friends this am, the others are fine.

Anything I’m missing?
Anything else I should take w me?

Last edited:
Hypothermia should be treated in this manner - warm the bird quickly on the breast and wing pits as those areas have the most blood vessels and will carry the warmed blood quickly to the rest of the body. Then warm drinking water with electrolytes and extra sugar for the next 24 to 48 hours.

Hypothermia should be treated in this manner - warm the bird quickly on the breast and wing pits as those areas have the most blood vessels and will carry the warmed blood quickly to the rest of the body. Then warm drinking water with electrolytes and extra sugar for the next 24 to 48 hours.
:goodpost: This is really all you can do along with keeping them calm with no stress. Also I see you mentioned poultry cell. Which is a good product but for faster acting product that works best in this situation is nutri-drench it will get them up and going and back feeding and drinking. I use nutri-drench a lot something I would keep on hand if your looking to fill your aid kit.

Back
Top Bottom