Chipped Wood, AKA Mulch, AKA our old trees.. Can they go in the coop?

jamiebartlett

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
We lost several trees during the Crazy Washington State weather this past Fall/Winter. Last weekend we rented a woodchipper and chipped it all up, now I'm left with two massive piles of "mulch". It's a variety of Pine trees, A strange out of control tree that had big leaves that were shiny, I never got the name of this tree, Trimmings off a birch (I think) Tree, and a couple others. So in the mix is wood, leaves, dirt - all earth materials. I'm not sure if there's anything poisonus in this that the chickens can't have. It looks fun tho to make a heaping pile in the middle of the run for entertainment!!

And a second question... I have an area that I want to make into a garden, since chickens are awesome cultivators (the coop run dirt has never been flufflier!) Is there a CHEAP way to build a day time run to put the chickens in while i'm around so they can have fun, then I can put them back into their coop after I leave the premises? I can't let them free roam, we have WAYYY to many dogs not leashed in our neighborhood. The price of living in the rural area.

Thanks for any tips given in advance!!
smile.png

Jamie:D

Just a suggestion--since the dogs may be around do you think you'd be safer to pound in some t-posts and hang garden fencing? Bird netting over the top would keep them from flying out. I have used an "extension" for my tractor made of pvc covered with chicken wire. It is about 10'x4'. very easy to put together with all the joints available for pvc. Problem is it is very light and a determined dog could probably knock it over. My chickens "work" in my gardens all the time (including the veg. garden) and really do a great job. Good luck. We sure are having a run of nice weather this week, don't you think?

Definately like that suggestion, sounds like it'll be resonably priced! Yes, the weather here has been GORGEOUS! IT started off weird! We had snow on mOnday in Granite Falls! Glad to see it melt quickly.... Sad to hear rain is in the forecast again. SIGH...
smile.png

I don't know... just guessing here. Does yours seem more, uh, splintery than shavings? I've seen some chipped wood mulch that I think would probably be okay, and some that I think would tear the birds' feet up.

idunno.gif

I bet the chipped wood pile would be great. The shiny-leaved tree must have been deciduous (like oak, maple) and that won't hurt them. I would think that if they don't like it, they won't play in it, and you'll figure this out quickly.

As for a "day run," I'm thinking of making one myself. Have you ever seen a Toblerone bar? It is like a tube with a triangular profile. I'm thinking of making a mini-chicken-toblerone-tractor via two triangular wooden doors on the sides, with welded 2" by 4" hole wire fencing creating a triangular tube of chicken run. During the day I could put two of my eight hens in it with a waterer, place it on the lawn, and let the hens scratch and weed. At night I can return them to their regular permanent run and henhouse. My vision is 5' long with a 3' tall triangle side, but that is a rough guess. We already have the spare fencing and lumber for this, so the cost to us is negligible. The cost of the supplies, retail, might be like $30-40 if you were thrifty.

Have fun! I'll post the tractor-tube when I build it. I got the idea from Forsham Cottage Arks in England- you can look it up on google.

-MTchick

Thanks! We decided to build a permanent structure around the garden to keep other animals out during the growing season, so we went and put money into it. We're working on building it. I'll be sure to post the girls "working" for their feed.
smile.png

I wil give some a toss in the run and see what they think of it! I just worry that there may be some kind of tree that they shouldnt be eating and get sick! I worry too much (my husband says).

Thanks all for your help!

Back
Top Bottom