Chunnel with chicken wire question

Redheadhomestead

Songster
Jul 4, 2022
Nc 🇺🇸
Hey all be been looking at doing a Chunnel for a while now.

In a perfect world id use hardware cloth or 1x2 galvanized fencing. The dilemma, however, is I’m looking to do 100 ft or more of Chunnel and I’m not looking to spend 100+ on fencing and stakes etc when I currently have 200ish ft of chicken wire sitting in the garage.

I’m looking to use the chicken wire, but I’m not thrilled about the options I’ve seen used for tunnels structure (I’ve seen the 1/2 inch pex tubing) I also don’t wanna build it with no structure because it’ll cave or bend with time.

Have y’all used anything else other then the pex tubing to give the chicken wire structure? I’d prefer something like a metal bendable wire but don’t know of anything like that off the top of my head. Any input is appreciated.

PEX tube isn’t rigid enough for this, it will sag once the sun warms it. PVC would be better than that material but it’s not exactly cheap these days.

I would consider using something like 3/8” rebar or even better is remesh panels as the structural part for this project and cover with the chicken wire. Easily bendable and made of steel so will have structural integrity

The only issue with chicken wire is the holes are large enough for raccoon hands to fit through, but that may only be an issue at nighttime when it’s not in use.

PEX tube isn’t rigid enough for this, it will sag once the sun warms it. PVC would be better than that material but it’s not exactly cheap these days.

I would consider using something like 3/8” rebar or even better is remesh panels as the structural part for this project and cover with the chicken wire. Easily bendable and made of steel so will have structural integrity

The only issue with chicken wire is the holes are large enough for raccoon hands to fit through, but that may only be an issue at nighttime when it’s not in use.
Yeah This is really why I was trying to shoot for something with more structural rigidity. I’m not worried about any predators, because this Chunnel is just a daytime vector to another little run across the yard. I’d let them free range during the day if they didn’t poop all over our patio and patio furniture. Our yard is fenced in and we have a chicken friendly dog that keeps ground predators far from here during the day. They will never be in there or outside of their coop after dark. Really just wanna get them to another part of green pastures without allowing them to fertilize our living space haha.

The other issue is that dogs can rip through it. :(
no wild dogs around here. Only one that will lick the chickens until they share some of their kitchen scraps. Our only predator attack to date is a fox that made its way through our back gate that was left open 😪 that particular mistake won’t be made twice

Last edited:
Yeah This is really why I was trying to shoot for something with more structural rigidity. I’m not worried about any predators, because this Chunnel is just a daytime vector to another little run across the yard. I’d let them free range during the day if they didn’t poop all over our patio and patio furniture. Our yard is fenced in and we have a chicken friendly dog that keeps ground predators far from here during the day. They will never be in there or outside of their coop after dark. Really just wanna get them to another part of green pastures without allowing them to fertilize our living space haha.
The better option is to screen off the patio and furniture so you can let the chickens enjoy the yard

By the time you buy something to support the wire you could have bought a stiff wire that's self supporting. Rolled fencing makes a good chunnel ,chicken wire does not.

You can bend 1/2 inch PVC pipe into hoops or whatever shape you want by heating it with a hot air gun. Heat it as uniformly as you can. Have a water trough nearby so you can dunk and cool it off when you get the shape you want.

You can bend 1/2 inch PVC pipe into hoops or whatever shape you want by heating it with a hot air gun. Heat it as uniformly as you can. Have a water trough nearby so you can dunk and cool it off when you get the shape you want.
Securing the tunnels to the ground with landscape staples or 2 x 2's will keep the chickens from getting out on the sides.

Back
Top Bottom