Cinnamon Coturnix Breeding

quailheart

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
Saint Louis, MO
Hey everyone! This is one of my Coturnix hens from Southwest Gamebirds who I believe is a Cinnamon.
IMG_7870.jpeg
IMG_7869.jpeg
IMG_7859.jpeg
IMG_7865.jpeg

She is the only quail I have of this color and I would love to try to hatch out more like her. Is that even possible with her genetics and her being the only Cinnamon quail I have?
On Southwest Gamebirds website they said that Cinnamon is a sex linked recessive trait. Here’s the link to their plumage genetics website in case anybody wanted it: SW Gamebirds Plumage Gentics
If you scroll down you’ll see info for the cinnamon genetics.
Coturnix quails have sex chromosomes Z and W. Males are homomorphic and have ZZ and females have ZW. So does this mean if I hatch my quails eggs some of the female chicks will be cinnamon? Assuming that none of my other roosters carry one Cinnamon gene, would I ever be able to hatch male cinnamons?

Her eyes look dark, so I don't think she's a cinnamon. Cinnamons have dark red/wine coloured eyes. I have a couple birds that look a lot like your girl that are not cinnamons.

If your birds carry the cinnamon gene, there is a possibility that you will get some cinnamons, but they are rather fragile and hard to hatch and raise.

Cinnamon coturnix are born with red eyes but they darken with age! If you look at SW Gamebirds pictures of their cinnamon quail they all have dark eyes too. Here’s a link to their info on Cinnamon Quail. Also I’m aware she doesn’t look exactly like the ones in their photos however they did mention other varieties like Cinnamon Sparkly and Cinnamon Fawn so it’s possible she could be something like that.

Cinnamon coturnix are born with red eyes but they darken with age! If you look at SW Gamebirds pictures of their cinnamon quail they all have dark eyes too. Here’s a link to their info on Cinnamon Quail. Also I’m aware she doesn’t look exactly like the ones in their photos however they did mention other varieties like Cinnamon Sparkly and Cinnamon Fawn so it’s possible she could be something like that.
Thanks for the information. I actually had a cinnamon about 4 years ago from James Marie lines. She was an experimental egg that I got from someone who knew him. Unfortunately, my pen got left open one night, and she was the only one I didn't recover. She was only about 8 weeks old, so I never got to see her eyes darken that much.

Yea I get it, they’re not easy to find either! My cinnamon hen is from my 2021 hatch so she’s getting pretty old! I’m really hoping to hatch some cinnamon carriers this year or I’m afraid I’ll be done with cinnamons for a while too.

Back
Top Bottom