Coccidia confirmed on fecal. How do you disinfect the coop and with what treatment?

MichelleFL7

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
My previous post updated. Finally got answers. Coccidia confirmed. Must treat all 4 2yr olds and the Roo.
Vet said medicated feed 14 days. But I have to disinfect the coop, I’m in rural area-it’s in our dirt, so any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Did the vet prescribe Corid (amprollium) or sulfa antibiotics to treat the birds with coccidiosis? That is what most people use to treat an outbreak. Medicated feed won’t treat an outbreak. Did they see a few coccidia oocysts in a fecal float, or a lot? Most chickens have some coccidia oocysts in their droppings, and they build up a tolerance to the coccidia in the soil when they are several months old. Are you having warm and muddy conditions? There is not a practical way to disinfect soil. You can clean up droppings, and keep your bedding as stirred and dry as possible to lessen the possibility of one getting sick. The best thing is to get them out on fresh grass where they won’t be recontaminating themselves by pecking dirt and droppings. Also cleaning and changing waterers daily, along with raising the waterers to shoulder height to prevent contamination of the water would be helpful.

Last edited:
My previous post updated. Finally got answers. Coccidia confirmed. Must treat all 4 2yr olds and the Roo.
Vet said medicated feed 14 days. But I have to disinfect the coop, I’m in rural area-it’s in our dirt, so any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
I'm quite surprised that he suggested you feed medicated feed.
I would probably not listen to your vet if I were you and I would get Corid.

Did the vet prescribe Corid (amprollium) or sulfa antibiotics to treat the birds with coccidiosis? That is what most people use to treat an outbreak. Medicated feed won’t treat an outbreak. Did they see a few coccidia oocysts in a fecal float, or a lot? Most chickens have some coccidia oocysts in their droppings, and they build up a tolerance to the coccidia in the soil when they are several months old. Are you having warm and muddy conditions? There is not a practical way to disinfect soil. You can clean up droppings, and keep your bedding as stirred and dry as possible to lessen the possibility of one getting sick. The best thing is to get them out on fresh grass where they won’t be recontaminating themselves by pecking dirt and droppings. Also cleaning and changing waterers daily, along with raising the waterers to shoulder height to prevent contamination of the water would be helpful.
Hello and thanks for the information. We are having a warm and wet spring here. Vet said on 2nd fecal Coccidia-many- so I’m going off that. Only one chicken is having a hard time. First fecal showed 1 hookworm and he didn’t think that was a big deal. I do have a rat (just saw him today while cleaning extensively) Got to figure out how to rid him OUT! I’m going to put waters up, great idea and get a better closed feeder. Vet didn’t prescribe anything and I think I’m going to call him tomorrow and see why?
Also coop inside is dry, pen gets wet in rain, they do free range on 2.5 acres.

Hello and thanks for the information. We are having a warm and wet spring here. Vet said on 2nd fecal Coccidia-many- so I’m going off that. Only one chicken is having a hard time. First fecal showed 1 hookworm and he didn’t think that was a big deal. I do have a rat (just saw him today while cleaning extensively) Got to figure out how to rid him OUT! I’m going to put waters up, great idea and get a better closed feeder. Vet didn’t prescribe anything and I think I’m going to call him tomorrow and see why?
Also coop inside is dry, pen gets wet in rain, they do free range on 2.5 acres.
The vet did not prescribe anything because Corid/Amprolium is an OTC medication.

Medicated feed does not treat an outbreak.

Treat your chooks coop with a product called Oxine AH. You should give your coop a good spray 3-4 times a year to keep all the soil/coop dwelling nasties at a minimal level.

Your vet isn't the first vet to half-ass proper treatment of a chicken. Unless they have specific Avian or livestock training, they're winging it.

I've literally taken to researching the issue myself to get some idea of what is going on. I take my chook to the vet and tell them what the issue is and what treatments/prescription(s) I need. So far, only once did they argue and the treatment recommended was refused because the medication they intended to use is not allowed in birds whose eggs are intended for consumption. I got my prescription and that bird lives today.

I did find an Avian vet for more serious issues, but they only see patients by referral.

Back
Top Bottom