Cold snap solo hen

Hildib

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2020
Got a solo Wyandot hen 4.6 yo suddenly and we have a sudden cold snap after warm weather. It’s going to get down to 11-15 degrees f. She dropped all her small feathers all day today. Her vent looks clean but gave her meds on it and dropper of B12. And protein. Scrambled egg and mealy worms with pellets. I have a heat lamp in the hutch but even with that it’s 23 degrees but she seems pretty cold alone . I think I’ll put her in the garage tonight which is at least 35f. Lost my other three hens in the past month different reasons different times all over 4 years, so she’s a bit in shock I think. I’ll look for companions for her tomorrow. None in the shelters right now. I gave her a warm Epsom salt bath as I thought a week ago she had vent gleet) but it seems to have cleared up. I hope I’m doing the right thing. My garage is not heated. She doesn’t need more stress.

She needs a companion not for warmth but for company. But you won't be able to just toss the two of them together.
I would keep her in a draft free area (in a large dog crate in the garage is good) and give her a huddle box with warm dry bedding to hunker down in and conserve her heat.
Make sure her crop is full of a complete feed every night before she goes to roost.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom