Cold weather and ducklings

You could use a live stock tank heater or just do what most of us do put the pool up for winter, On warmer days above 32 I use a cement mixing tub to let mine have a bath then I can dump out the water [if there is any left] lol and put it up for the night.

I also take the pools away for the winter. I use large size gravity-feed water bowls meant for dogs. The bowl section is large enough for the ducks to completely dunk their heads. It is very cold and snowy where I live so I have four of these. Two get put out each morning and occasionally need to be replaced by mid-afternoon. Brought inside to thaw. It is extra work but my duckies are worth it.

I also put away my sandbox and cement mixing tray and stick with rubber black oval livestock feed bowls. They'll fit a goose or 4 ducks and take the abuse of daily dumping and kicking or jumping on to break up the really hard freezes. I had an under trough heater, but it cracked in 2 years. I'm trying the 'k&h perfect bucket heater' which looks like it'd fit in your pond. It's been down to 18f and no ice seen (but still up above freezing in the days.)

Thank you all for the advice. Do I need to have their food and water inside with them when I lock them up for the night?

Ask around if there are any weasel or minks. When there's only a few, people may think they aren't around. So, seek out and confirm with multiple sources. A young mink or weasel can squeeze thru a hole as small as a quarter, an adult would slide right thru present fencing. When they kill, they get excited and often take out every bird within. The chain link fencing is really strong and can be the basis to hang 1/2" hardware clothe (metal fencing). I like that it reaches the ground. If you look over the perimeter daily, you could go with laying 24" of hardware clothe outside and attached to the perimeter chain link to prevent digging under. It doesn't have to all be done in a week. Yet if put off there you'll likely have a predator attack.

Those 2 will keep you company and provide moral support as you predator proof their pen. Later they'll show their gratitude for a long duck run. Nice pool, enjoy your life enriched by duckies.

Back
Top Bottom